Getting a D200

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Scottn_photo, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I am getting a D200 on friday (july 25) and i was just wondering if you guys had any helpful little tips about the camera... like little tricks or things that have worked for you.

2. What did you shoot with previously?

3. Thanks Barry. i actually have already been to the second link. lol. good work! haha

4. I got my D200 (used, Ebay) about 2 weeks ago. I've had a D50 for 2 1/2 years which I was, and am, very happy with. Just got a good deal on the D200 and thought what the heck! I had never held a D200 before...and it looked and felt huge! But you adapt quickly. I just threw on a lens and starting taking pictures...and sat down and went through the user manual....more buttons and the menu system is much more than the D50. But my pictures looked half way decent right from the beginning. I was actually a little intimitdated at first. I thought "what have I done"....I don't need all of the extra "stuff". But I'm beginning to feel much more comfortable with it...and really like the feel of it. And everything just works quicker and quieter....fast focusing, etc. I have had a nikon 17-55 for about 4 months and they make a great combination.

Just take your time....good luck!!

5. Jogger, I'm getting mine from Craigslist. So i will just sit around and play with it... i am getting it friday night and i don't work friday night so i will play with it well into the night. lol. and i think i might get that guide Ted. thanks :)

6. rawke

rawke

Jun 16, 2008
    Canada
    haha. I would take Mr.Rockwell's suggestions with a grain of salt. I tried it out for kicks and depending on what you are shooting, his preferences for super-colour saturation brings out the worst in the D200, especially indoors.

I have been using the D200 for 2+ years now and the only limiting thing about it is the horrible renderings of blacks/shadows when you underexpose past ISO400.

7. Rawke,

is there a preferred ISO that you shoot at for outside and inside? or one that you would suggest?

8. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Scott, regarding ISO, if you've read at all about that body, you are probably aware that it's big limitation is high ISO. I have found that 640 and higher is really unusable for anything other than snapshots. DEFINITELY invest in something like NoiseNinja or similar. That might get you an additional stop or two of speed.

Aside from that, experimentation for your particular style is best. I find the camera does a very good job with long exposure in lieu of high ISO. Also, the flash system on this body is pretty darned good.

If you do ANY portrait oriented shooting at all, invest in the MB-D200. I find the camera a little awkward without - but it maybe just because it's what I'm used to...

Enjoy!

9. Johnny Yuma

Johnny Yuma

Jun 27, 2007
    SE MI
    I try to stay w/ 100, unless I'm shooting w/ a hotshoe flash. Then I will bump it up to 200-400 if needed.
    800 gets a bit noisy w/ a 200, but worse is the loss of shadow detail. So shooting 800+ into a scene w/ a lot of shadows is not well advised.

The D200 likes to be shot in RAW too.

10. Alright. thanks for the advise vin and johnny. that helps a lot. and i am definitely going to invest in a MB-D200 Grip. I just need another $200. lol.but i am going to get one for sure.

11. Thanks for creating this thread. I recently upgraded from the D80 to a D200 just because I got a good deal on the D200. Just wondering what some people paid for theirs.

I dropped $700 for just the body.

12. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Scott, shop around a little for the grip. I got mine here on the cafe for less than $200 with a RRS L-bracket and extra battery!

13. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    His settings work great for me on both my D40 and my D80. They're intended for landscape and scenic work, which is what he does and I like to do too. I take people that say to take Ken Rockwell like a grain of salt, like a grain of salt. I've picked up tons of great tips from his site. :smile: Obviously you'll want to turn the saturation down when you're shooting people or other things.

14. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Yeah, I threw my tripod out last year. Like Ken says, with VR, tripods are a thing of the past!:biggrin: (I'm kidding folks)

D200 high ISO is a *million* times better if you over-expose a tad, and then adjust in raw. At the same time, even ISO 320 is noisy if you underexpose and try to bring it up in post. I love ISO 100 too, but its often not possible to shoot at that ISO. So don't be afraid of higher iso's to get your shutterspeeds high.

15. Darn, now you tell me :Curved:.

Nikon D200 1/200s f/2.2 at 85.0mm iso1000
    61294690.gif

Nikon D200 1/60s f/2.5 at 85.0mm iso800
    View attachment 226090

Nikon D200 1/200s f/2.5 at 85.0mm iso1000
    View attachment 226091

Nikon D200 1/80s f/2.0 at 35.0mm iso800
    View attachment 226092

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  16. ^ Thanks for the photos.

The D200 handles high ISOs alright.. I'm assuming it does way better when the photo is not underexposed or when flash is used.

Time to save up for an SB-600 :)