Getting a Head

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
The final straw, arrived in my battle with levelling a camera with a shift lens, on the Manfrotto 3d Junior tripod head, that I have owned for about 30 years, came when I shot this set. I would tighten the screws and the head would shift in some way from where I wanted it to be. I got fed up with second guessing where the head would settle. Tightening a thumbscrew by hand was not always enough to stop my heavy D810 camera slowly rotating when the camera was in portrait mode.

So, I gave in, and ordered a rather expensive Manfrotto 410 geared head. My only regret is that I should have bought one of these heads years ago. With these heads, after you set the rough position, you then finely adjust the framing with a geared knob. The quick release plates can be screwed against the camera, so no more slippage.

Here are a few shots that I took near to my home in Reggio Emilia to try out and learn how to use this new contraption. I always like to learn new gear in actual shooting conditions.

On these two shoots, the good and bad cropped up with using a tripod in a public place.

At the castle a guy who lived in one of the houses that once made up the walls was pleased to see somebody taking an interest in this local monument. He invited me into his garden to let me take a shot from an interesting angle. He also explained to me, the history of the castle.

At the church shot, the Verger quickly appeared and wanted to know if I was in some way going to make money with these shots. (photographing monuments for commercial gain is illegal in some European states without permission from the state/church).

NCV_1326_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1 Castello di Casalgrande

NCV_1317_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_5366_DxOsmall.jpg

3 Castello di Casalgrande

DSC_5381_DxOsmall.jpg

4 Arceto RE

DSC_5390_DxO-2.jpg

5 Arceto RE

DSC_5392_DxOsmall.jpg

6 Arceto RE

DSC_5411_DxOsmall.jpg

7 Rocca di Scandiano

DSC_5413_DxOsmall.jpg

8 Rocca di Scandiano

Here are a few shots that I took near to my home in Reggio Emilia to try out and learn how to use this new contraption. I always like to learn new gear in actual shooting conditions.

You obviously got it dialed in very quickly, judging from these photos. All excellent.

At the church shot, the Verger quickly appeared and wanted to know if I was in some way going to make money with these shots.

Why am I not surprised?

• Appreciate
Reactions: NCV

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Glad you found a head that meets your needs. Excellent work.

• Appreciate
Real Name
Ken
At the church shot, the Verger quickly appeared and wanted to know if I was in some way going to make money with these shots. (photographing monuments for commercial gain is illegal in some European states without permission from the state/church).
You should have told him that nobody makes money with photographs anymore. They are either stolen from the internet or people offer to trade you your image for exposure and credit!o_O

--Ken

My head is all screwed up; me thinks I need a new one :D :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I think you have found the right tool for the job, as you shoot 'em.

• Appreciate
Very nice set and wonderful old buildings, still in beautiful condition. Interesting, and intriguing, treatment of the brickwork above the door in Pic 8.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom