Getting a photo printed - Question, re: Max print size

I am looking to get a photo printed on Canvas.

1078839_10100613163961406_49335023_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Took it with my D7000.

What would be the maximum size that I could/should get it printed at without it looking crummy? I want something big, but not huge. I was thinking along the lines of 24x36, mostly because that allows me to keep 99% of the picture on the frame, where as the other wraps (16x20, 20x24) cut off a significant amount of the picture, and I dont want to do that.

Being as this is 16.2MP, 300 dpi, do you think a 24x36 would look okay? I also know it has to do with relative distance that I'd be looking at the photo. This is my first time ordering anything like this, so I'd appreciate any help in the matter. Thanks!!!

Send it to Wallhogs.com and you can get it printed around 7 feet on the long side, and won't look crummy. They have good "up-sizing" algorithms and the D7K is more than adequate.

of course, the bigger the print the bigger the price....

I don't know what sizes are available, but printing them on canvas is very forgiving so you may be able to go larger than you think. Not 7 feet though.

Yea I don't think 7feet is what I'm after. Lol. But that's good to know about canvas being forgiving.

I'll check wallhogs. Thanks!!

What is your viewing distance? That more than anything else defines "crummy" or not. If you're viewing the image from twice the length of the diagonal of the image, three to four megapixels is enough, regardless of the size you're printing it; be it 6×4″ or 18×12′

You will be fine with 24x36. I had this printed on canvas 20x30 and the file was 3mp. The print is clear as can be. The picture was taken with my phone so it doesn't look near as good as it does in person. Sorry if I was home, I would take a good shot of it with the camera.
p1808191259-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What is your viewing distance? That more than anything else defines "crummy" or not. If you're viewing the image from twice the length of the diagonal of the image, three to four megapixels is enough, regardless of the size you're printing it; be it 6×4″ or 18×12′

That was my understanding as well. It will most likely be hung up on a wall in a main room, so viewing distance will be a a foot or two or three, average. But it sounds like I should be good with a 24x36 at 16.2MP. Makes me want to go bigger!!! Bring Hawaii back to my Maryland. :cool:

That was my understanding as well. It will most likely be hung up on a wall in a main room, so viewing distance will be a a foot or two or three, average. But it sounds like I should be good with a 24x36 at 16.2MP. Makes me want to go bigger!!! Bring Hawaii back to my Maryland. :cool:

We have photos that size (36×24) hanging on the walls in our office. Nobody ever notices pixels. Taken with a D2 so you should be fine!

One of the largest billbords ever put up in Times Square was shot with a hand held Olimpus point & shoot hand held on the spur of the moment in the rain. Big prints are not viewed with your nose stuck in them.

I have a 110X225cm print on photo paper from my D700; you need to get within 10cm to see the pixels.

With a quality printer you needn't worry about resolution and canvas is even more forgiving.

I agree I have printed very large pics from a cp 5000. Almost any size is printable, While 24 x 32 is as large as I display for sale I have printed 36 x 48 on request, and your pic would like awesome in that size if you have the room space,

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom