Getting a picture you always wanted.

Uh....no. I am staying at home as much as possible, and as pretty firmly requested by the governor of my state. For me, this is not the time to go tootling around my area and certainly not to go driving downtown to DC, where in fact they've had to close off vehicular and pedestrian access to the Tidal Basin, where the famous Cherry Blossom trees are and where the blossoms are in bloom right now. They had to take stringent measures when too many people were crowding the area in spite of requests not to do so, and therefore "social distancing" was pretty much impossible. Our subway system, Metro, has pretty much truncated much of their service, too, closing many Metro stations, so even if I had the urge to do so I wouldn't be able to jump on Metro and ride downtown, either. Bus service has been greatly reduced as well. At the moment the emphasis here is on keeping people safe and healthy so non-essential businesses are closed and many people are staying home, working from home.

Well, it is just common sense. Our state has no locked down, a big mistake, and you are not in contact with anyone while using a car or bike. Streets are empty, with no parked cars. It is a moment, as bad as it is, to be taken advantage of. I sent the pics to be filed, to a Historic group with a note, and they posted them this afternoon

Photographers create records of everything.

A major Artery in the metropolis of Macon Ga. at noon Tuesday,

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Anyone taking advantage of the reduced traffic to get pictures of your city you have always wanted, or updating images without the obstacles?
That's a great idea! However, even though the traffic is reduced in my area (I live near Connie), there is still too much of it to do the kind of photography you're suggesting.

There are other stories that can be told. As an example, I went to my local Subway sandwich shop. Restaurants are only allowed to serve take-out food, so they piled all the chairs and tables into one corner of the restroom. That made it impossible for anyone to eat in the restaurant. Empty shelves at grocery stores would make good photos. Gas station signs displaying low prices would make good photos. There are probably other opportunities.

Last edited:
I don't advocate people to go out. But when one needs to go out, like going to work(for key workers) or for groceries, it is okay to stop the car for a few seconds to take some photos to record it down, like Tom and Mike said. I have some photos of empty streets and empty malls, but they are all cellphone photos.

That's a great idea! However, even though the traffic is reduced in my area (I live near Connie), there is still too much of it to do the kind of photography you're suggesting.

There are other stories that can be told. As an example, I went to my local Subway sandwich shop. Restaurants are only allowed to serve take-out food, so they piled all the chairs and tables into one corner of the restroom. That made it impossible for anyone to eat in the restaurant. Empty shelves at grocery stores would make good photos. Gas station signs displaying low prices would make good photos. There are probably other opportunities.
Good ideas Mike, but I am not going inside any store other than grocery, and they have special hours for rge seniors, but someone should have told them we rarely get up early enough to be there at 7 AM. :)

I don't advocate people to go out. But when one needs to go out, like going to work(for key workers) or for groceries, it is okay to stop the car for a few seconds to take some photos to record it down, like Tom and Mike said. I have some photos of empty streets and empty malls, but they are all cellphone photos.
Common sense dictates Phil and with the assumed population density there you are being safe. I live in an area of maybe 5 people per square mile, and countywide it is 71 per square mile, unlike the Washington DC area. Everyone stay safe but I wll ake another try in the city soon.

Yes, the last time I was in the grocery store -- a week and a half ago or longer -- I did use my iPhone to snap off a few shots of empty shelves, as the sight was so stunning. It looked worse than when we've had predictions of a major snowstorm! I'm planning to venture out today and so it will be interesting to see what is and what is not available at the grocery store now.

Yes, the last time I was in the grocery store -- a week and a half ago or longer -- I did use my iPhone to snap off a few shots of empty shelves, as the sight was so stunning. It looked worse than when we've had predictions of a major snowstorm! I'm planning to venture out today and so it will be interesting to see what is and what is not available at the grocery store now.
I also got such a pic. It has calmed here though I did have to make a 24-mile roundtrip to get the overnight delivery of eggs.:}

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom