Getting down to business

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Apr 25, 2007.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi Y'all,

The activity level at the rookery is picking up.

Everyone is doing their nest building
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there are eggs to sit on
    [​IMG]

and some speedy parents have chicks to care for, these are about a half hour old
    [​IMG]

and of course a few photographers are around to capture all the goings on
    [​IMG]

2. Nice set Harry but I'm not sure I would stand in line to get a picture

3. Excellent set Harry. Looks like you had a crowd on the walkways, how does that work with respect to getting in a good position with so many folks? Also looks like I saw some chicks in one of the Egret's nest. Really look forward to seeing some shots as they grow.

Louie

4. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Nice set of photos Harry. Was this during regular hours or do they have special times for photographers only?

5. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    What a bunch of dorks with their goofy looking flash extenders. Why don't they just buy a post card??:biggrin: :Angel:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super shots Harry
    Wow a bunch at sweet light time:>)))

7. Absolutely wonderful! LOL, certainly looks like a big crowd of photographers too! Nicely done Harry!

8. Nice shots, Harry. That last one looks like an ad for Better Beamer. :smile:

9. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    All busy birds,doing work!!Fantastic shots!!

10. Wonderful shots Harry. All those people makes me think there should be a traffic signal on the walkway!!!

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thnaks Gary and there's no line to take a picture just a bunch of shooters taking different positions on the boardwalk. It was a bit heavier that day because the St. Augustine Wildlife Festival has just started.

12. Fantastic series, and how neat that so many people come out to photograph there...I would love to be part of that!

13. Wow what a series - you are on ahot streak! I wish I would be able to be there to go with you!!

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Louie. usually the boardwalk ain't that crowded but the wildlife festival had just started and a workshop was going on. Usually the boardwalk is not too crowded for most of the day. It tends to get a bit crowded when the park closes down because they let photographers shoot from 5-7 even though the park closes at 5. So as the patrons start to leave at the end of the day you see a crowd of photographers coming in to shoot in the sweet light of late afternoon, early evening.

Its not hard to get a position for a good shot because most of the shooters come in and start shooting. One needs to look a bit before going into action. You want to scope out the scene and look for a good background in some good light. Also you want to check for the birds flight patterns. Most of the shooters get caught up in having so many subjects in such a tight area that they just start filling up their memory cards.

15. Thanks for answering that Harry. When I was there last they told me about opening up betweent those hours just for photographers. I can just imagine, it would be like candy in a candy store when you first walk in and see all of the wildlife. Well, wish I could be there durin this period, but you're just going to have to document it for us.

Louie

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Herb. The Alligator Farm is open 9-5 but it lets those of us who have a photographer's pass intot h park at 8 AM and lets us stay until 7 PM.

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

:biggrin:

18. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks Gale, we''ll get up there next week and shoot up the place some more

19. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Thanks Harry. I would love to get down there but don't think I can make it this year maybe next year.

20. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Dianne, there's no place better to shoot than the St Augustine rookery this time of the year.