Getting good ISO 1600 images with d2h

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by twig, Jul 4, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Boobie Joe has posted some great high iso pics (here and elsewhere) with the d2h. I am using is for night baseball and find images noisey as heck at ISO 1600, I was wondering for any tips anyone could relay to improve image quality.

Is RMLite the promised land with it;s noise dreduction plug-ins (I hope not, because htough I am a beta tester I get zero utility out of hte program, it;s too hard for me to understand)

Any tips, suggestions, etc., appreciated.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The secret to high iso shooting is to 'expose to the right'.

I usually add 0.7 to 1.3 stops to high iso shots (1600, 3200 and even 6400.) then pull the exposure with the exposure control in ACR.

3. The real secret for good ISO 1600 images from a D2H is simply to shoot in broad daylight. Otherwise, when you really need iso1600 (dim light), the only thing that will help is a noise program.

I personally don't dislike "natural" looking noise but tastes are personal.

4. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Chris is absolutely right - expose to the right and even past the right about 1 stop :):)

RML at high ISO does better than many others (in high quality de-mosaicing mode, and with a good dose of our noise reduction), still the reduction of dynamic range at high ISO settings is very substantial, and the other part of the secret is - let the shadows go.

All in all, high ISO has zero (negative might be the word) tolerance to underexposure.

5. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Thanks all for the info,
    I will try as suggested, though adding +1EV drops my shutter speed, which is the reason I am forced to 1600 in the first place, so I guess it becomes a catch-22.

6. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    You can use auto-ISO with manual aperture/shutter settings before going to Hi mode. Also, matrix metering seems to me less useful for ISO above 640. center-weighted and spot prevents underexposure better, as we use high iso settings most of the time under pretty compex lighting.

7. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Twig said:
    I was wondering the same thing. If you're shooting at ISO 1600 with a +1EV adjustment, isn't that the same as shooting at ISO 800 with no adjustment?

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    No, because then you aren't going to have anything to pull. The noise is less (on my D100, not a D2h) at iso 800, but still there. So when I shoot at 1600, and +1ev then I can pull the noise down into the shadow. When Iliah said 'let the shadows go', I think he meant let the shadow and it's associated noise sink into blackness where the noise won't show.

The mid portion that would have been noise laden will then be as clean as the highlights would normally be.

9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Chris,

Yes, I meant let the shadows go to darkness... We need to realize that we do not have enough dynamic range for them to be rendered smooth enough, so they should be plugged away. Depending on camera, ISO 1600 still have 5-6 stops of DR (think Velvia). Quite enough for good exposure IMHO.

Auto-ISO and proper metering to get into the dynamic range the camera is capable of for given ISO, RAW converter that copes with highlights a little better then NC - or special custom curve, if NC is in use - allow to get most from high ISO.