Getting Hard not be Depressed

Real Name
Ken St John
Sorry ... don't mean to be a downer, but I must admit it's getting harder and harder not to feel a little depressed right now. This is my view outside to our back yard right now...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
'
Purposely underexposed a bit to try and match what my eye sees. It's so dark and gloomy outside that some of the lights that are on dusk-to-dawn sensors in the neighborhood are still on at 10:45am!!

Have had several inches of rain over the past few days and the ground is now "super-saturated" - which for me means when our dog goes outside for his daily constitutional, I must wade through the mud and slop, baggies in hand, to clean up. And, if I'm late it melts into a real mess!!

Then there's the whole COVID stuff, the terrible actions of a few idiots last week in DC, the news in general, etc. Getting tough to find much joy right now.

Although it looks like we'll have a trip in late May to Utah and Arizona to get out of the house for a while!! At least I can spend some time planning that!!

Ken

Looks like my view; some of your wet side rain made it over here, and is forecast to stay a while, along with some wind, and no snow! And, yes, the rest of the stuff. Plus my ear infection and "pulled muscle" in my shoulder. So, what's a guy to do?
Comfortable chair, good coffee (wine after 3 pm), good music, and I'm comfortably reading all about my next stereo system (wife doesn't even know about it . . . :eek: ). But a man has gotta dream . . .

Hmm, maybe a late morning nap? :D 🍷

I would force yourself out to take pictures. I've taken neat pics in the rain. Just gotta open your eye and mind to see the images.
Try macro/close-up/still-life photography at home.

Like @Palouse, read books. I've been borrowing books from the local library. I read all 8 Harry Potter books, the 9 Temarare dragon books and several biographies. Next on the list is the Lord of the Ring series. And best of all, library books are free.

gud luk

We lived in western WA for eight years. This time of year it always helped us to take a drive across the mountains to the east side. Find some sun, play in the snow, take a few photos. You live in a wonderful state. Turn off the media, pick up the camera, and get out in nature.

Ha!
I feel your pain.
Not been out of the flat for 10 months except for hospital appointments, chemists to collect prescriptions, the once a week local grocery shopping.
Work and family meetings are Zoom.
Limited opportunities to take pictures, had to force myself for one November challenge.
More of the same so far for 2021, hospitals and self isolation.
Could be worse...

Real Name
Ken St John
Ken, I'm with you I sink up to my knees in our backyard right now. However I think Dan has the right idea.
Agree ... however according to Nick it may not be much of an improvement right now!! :)

--------

Oh, and to make things even "better", our son just called to let me know that one of his co-workers has been home sick for several days and is doing a COVID test today. If this guy shows up positive ... our son will probably need to quarantine in his bedroom and get tested as well!!

What a time .....

Ken

Real Name
Don Roy
For the past 10 years (since I moved to NM) I've gone on an annual 7-10 day cruise to the Caribbean with my favorite lady. Just having one all planned for 6 months out fills the brain with pleasant thoughts for most of a year. Last cruise was July 2019. We're hoping we can book something for 10-14 months from now. Before this cruising thing, I was working and generally more busy. I'm not really depressed these days, just sad being perpetually bored.

I can feel your pain. This time of year SE Texas on the gulf plains is grey flat and drab. Not to mention usually wet. The only redeeming part of this time of year is the wild life refuges and state parks are full of migratory birds. The back yard is very soggy right now. Whenever I go to take care of the feeders, my feet go squish across the yard

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
For the past 10 years (since I moved to NM) I've gone on an annual 7-10 day cruise to the Caribbean with my favorite lady. Just having one all planned for 6 months out fills the brain with pleasant thoughts for most of a year. Last cruise was July 2019. We're hoping we can book something for 10-14 months from now. Before this cruising thing, I was working and generally more busy. I'm not really depressed these days, just sad being perpetually bored.
And do you have a different favorite lady for each year? LOL! Photos or it didn't happen.....

Have you tried the Orchid Thai restaurant? Not in a great part of town, but the food is exceptional! And the Utility Shack is my go-to place for authentic Indian jewelry. Excellent pieces and reasonable prices. Local couple owned and operated. Trust me. I've compared offerings and prices in about every jewelry store in ABQ, Santa Fe, Gallup, etc. LOL! BTW - I was born in ABQ........and have relatives there.

Real Name
Don Roy
And do you have a different favorite lady for each year? LOL! Photos or it didn't happen.....
Yes, same lady. Sorry for the cell phone shot, but this is just meant as 'proof of life' before Covid...lol
20180303_133445.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looks like my view; some of your wet side rain made it over here, and is forecast to stay a while, along with some wind, and no snow! And, yes, the rest of the stuff. Plus my ear infection and "pulled muscle" in my shoulder. So, what's a guy to do?
Comfortable chair, good coffee (wine after 3 pm), good music, and I'm comfortably reading all about my next stereo system (wife doesn't even know about it . . . :eek: ). But a man has gotta dream . . .

Hmm, maybe a late morning nap? :D 🍷
Sounds like a great game plan, Nick, but *3 pm*???:D

Sorry ... don't mean to be a downer, but I must admit it's getting harder and harder not to feel a little depressed right now. This is my view outside to our back yard right now...
View attachment 1677166'
Purposely underexposed a bit to try and match what my eye sees. It's so dark and gloomy outside that some of the lights that are on dusk-to-dawn sensors in the neighborhood are still on at 10:45am!!

Have had several inches of rain over the past few days and the ground is now "super-saturated" - which for me means when our dog goes outside for his daily constitutional, I must wade through the mud and slop, baggies in hand, to clean up. And, if I'm late it melts into a real mess!!

Then there's the whole COVID stuff, the terrible actions of a few idiots last week in DC, the news in general, etc. Getting tough to find much joy right now.

Although it looks like we'll have a trip in late May to Utah and Arizona to get out of the house for a while!! At least I can spend some time planning that!!

Ken
Winter is hard for me even in good years. Even though it's so cold I'm trying to get outside for a walk most days which dramatically improves my frame of mind. But I will admit, that I've had my moments of feeling blue since Christmas. I hope you have a sunny, dry day soon. PS....I've had to take a break from the news. I listen enough to hear the headlines, then find something more uplifting to view.

Trade ya. Little over a foot of snow on the ground here with more coming wed, thru and friday.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom