Getting new iMac (couple questions)

One of my old iMacs would not restart after loss of power. Not a surge or lightening issue and it's not the switch on the back end. It has acted up off and on in that regard before. Anyway I'm replacing that one and this iMac will take it's spot to run older aps that will not function with the new OS. I was planning on getting new PS Elements and Capture NX for the new machine. I am not finding any definitive answers on how many problems these programs are having on that OS. My work flow is pretty simple. I liked my Capture for adjusting the raw files and loved the color points. After I made those few adjustments I would save as TIFF and do anything else I wanted in Elements.
So based on my reasonably simple workflow what problems can I expect with Catalina?

Also I asked this in the past and got various pros and cons. I'm considering doing a migrate from the old to new machine as I have done in the past. I believe that I understand correctly that during the migration if a application will not function with the new system you will be prompted to disregard that ap if you want. If I remember correctly the last time I did a migration the new iMac even hunted down and installed the new drivers I needed for a scanner and printer.

Real Name
Ken St John
I think you'll find that the latest versions of Elements will probably work OK. I'm pretty sure the older, stand alone, Capture NX will not as Catalina requires 64-bit only apps and installers. You may want to look at the NIK suite as an alternative as I think Vivenza is pretty similar to Capture NX, although it's missing the direct Nikon RAW access bits, of course. The newer Nikon software, View NX and Capture NX D should also run OK.

When I got my new iMac Retina a few years ago it gave new life to all my images. The display is simply magnificent!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Unless you rely on non-64bit programs, catalina is an absolutely necessary upgrade. High Sierra to Mojave was meh on my 8 year old MBP but Catalina brought back some life to it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom