1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Getting pretty bad noise @ ISO 800 +

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by pixelharmony, Aug 1, 2008.

1. I'm shooting these @ ISO800. The main reason I moved from the 40D over to the D300 was noise quality.

This just looks like there are bad noise artifacts. Maybe I'm just pixelpeeping too much. Scaled down the photo looks fine..

[​IMG]

+4ev to show the grains I'm seeing
    [​IMG]

2. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

Please upload the raw file. Perhaps I have a surprize for you.

3. This wasn't shot in raw, but what's the surprise?

4. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Is your active d-lighting on? if yes, turn it off and try again...

5. I think that could be it. I googled it, and found that at higher ISO's active D lighting produces noisier images.

6. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

No raw file, no surprize :frown:

Seriously, in JPEG is not suitable for any analysis except for JPEG artifacts. Particularly, JPEG is not suitable for increasing the brightness by four stops. Thus, this experiment is quite meaningless IMO.

7. Not meaningless. I just increased to emphasize the noise I was seeing. You can see it in the original. It wasn't meant to be an experiment, just a question.

8. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
  9. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    doesnt look like noise, looks like the effects of high noise reduction. try turning it down a bit. (or off)

10. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

It is all about the right exposure. If the photographer can not make the shot with sufficient exposure, then the image will be noisy, there is no discussion about that. The processing may hide the noise or leave it there in order to preserve details. That is a conscious choice, it is not reasonable to say "look you should process your images the way I am doing it".

Note, that the full dynamic range of the camera can not be utilized without increasing the intensity in post processing. In other words, the real noise characteristics of the camera is hidden in the shadows.

It is useless to show processed images for the demonstration of noise of a certain camera. The only useful demo is that with raw files, leaving others processing it according to their preferences and judge if the result is acceptable for them.

I often see demonstrations of the "lack of noise", where the photographer simply cuts off everything by black level.
    It is even worse, a joke, when such images are used for comparison between cameras.

11. In this case it's about the rights levels of in camera processing.

I didn't realize the noise I was seeing was from dynamic range and noise reduction. I switched them off jpegs and the images turn out fine, even @ 1600

12. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

It was not. The dynamic range plays no role in the image shown in the opening message, at least I don't see any indication of that.

I mentioned the DR, because I often see an attitude, that "pushing the exposure" by one-two (or more) stops is an outlandish action, it can not be expected to work (be happy if it works, don't complain if it does not). This is nonsense. One *has to* lift out details from the very shadows in order to utilize the dynamic range; that's the nature of the beast.

13. It's terrible, you should go back to Canon!

14. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!ILL SHOW YOU NOISE ON ANY PICTURE AT ANY ISO.THE CLOSER YOU NAIL THE EXPOSURE THE LESS NOISE BUT NOISE NON THE LESS!!!!!!!!WHY DONT YOU BY A D3. THEN A D4 AND SO FORTH

15. I was considering that when the 5D replacement comes out :tongue:

But I think realistically I'm going to stick with Nikon. Helps me do what I need to do better than Canon at a cheaper sticker.

16. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    That's your opinion....of course the right expousure is crucial, to a point it's not even worth mentioning to someone using a D300 (or it shouldn't be...), they should know that....but if you process your shots the wrong way you'll end up with a bad result....and this happens at all levels of experience.

And yes...the "way i'm doing it" is one of the ways to get a final image with a decent output...what's the problem with that...? :rolleyes: 

17. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    I took Smodak's suggestion to turn off the Active D-Lighting when using high ISO.... it really made a difference! Thanks, Smodak

18. Panopeeper

Panopeeper Guest

Of course, "my way is the right way"; not a bit arrogant, is it?

Don't you think of the possibility, that the photographers, who are complaining about this issue (several of them professionals) actually may know what they are doing? Perhaps there is a reason to expose so low as they sometimes do? The banding can easily be eliminated by blacklevel, but perhaps there is a reason not to do so (like for wanting to keep the details?).

19. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Glad that I could help !!!! :Love:

20. This thread is sounding like TFP. For a moment I thought I logged on to he wrong site. I am not feeling the love here!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.