Getting Published FINALLY

Congratulation Jim, a lot of your pictures deserved to be published and this is true for a lot of other member of the forum.

Hey Jim,

Congratulations on getting your work published. When I looked at your gallery of images, I was blown away at the quality. You certainly deserve to have your work in a publication for all to see. That is a wonderful honor for you! I'm sure you are very proud.....great job, Jim!!!

Your images are unique, special and artistic. I honestly am not suprised that these events have happen for you. I spend a lot of time in art galleries in NYC and I have always thought your work was a cut above the rest !

Congratulations Mr. J Fenton. Wish you the best in all your future endeavors.

Regards

RFC

Bet your calves don't bother you so much now!

Whoa, that's quite a coup, and so well deserved. A hearty congrats to you and the Mrs too!

Awesome news Jim!

You must be really proud... and a bit overwhelmed at the same time. :shock: I hope you'll still frequent this virtual hang-out, even after you are rich and famous! ;-) ... which you are already, here: rich in talent and famous for your captivating bird images (that owl in the snow is just incredible...) 8) :lol:

Re: Geez Folks

jfenton said:
I had forgotten to ask her opinion of how I should price my items so I called when I got home. I told her that as she would get 25% of the gross, that I'd like to price the larger pieces at $300 as I figured I'd gross $225 each and after the materials costs for the framing / matting which I'll do myself, I'd make about $175 a piece. She kinda chuckled and advised that in her experience, we should start at $450 each and see how it goes.
I had to chuckle at that commentary, JF. I think it's typical of the thought processes of us newcomers to the commercial end of the business. We're so used to giving away our work for "wows" that we have no understanding of their value. I did a portrait session recently, and sent the client a bill. He returned it with a check for double the amount I had invoiced, and thanked me for creating a family heirloom. I'm not sure which pleased me more... the money or the note, but the revenue has certainly helped my marital relations 8).

Many customers will judge the artistic value of a piece by its price tag... and if you start high, you can always lower your price later.

Congratulations on your richly deserved recognition!

Its about time TOO. I have always thought that your images were of an incredibly high standard, and I got my contact at Oxford Scientific Films to look at your submissions on the CAFE. He agreed that they were excellent and I am truly delighted at your news. I have a feeling that from 2007/8 you will be very very happy at the fees that will be coming your way. It does not get much better than The Audubon Society.
In The 1980s I received a massive amount of money for a double page spread in American Wildlife. So sit back and let the good times roll.
BW. Bob F.

Uncle Frank

Hi UNC...

Further discussions with the gallery owner over lunch today echoed what you have stated. First off, these folks are used to paying good money for good stuff and they actually will shy away from lesser priced works.

Secondly...I was told point blank to make every print sold there a limited edition and stick to it. If by some freak chance I actually sell through the limited edition over the years, it could always be reprinted with slightly different crop. Sounds a little dishonest to me...but....

Lastly...you are correct about higher prices...they can always be lowered, however if you start too low...you sure can't raise them without alienation buyers who follow your works.

Gilles

Gilles...

They didn't choose that one but interestingly, you're not the only one who likes it. I've sold four images printed at 14" x 10" of it so far and more than a few folks have commented on it. Interestingly....it was a cute shot in my opinion, but it didn't give me goosebumps.

Th each his / her own I guess :)

Hi Spiderman

This gallery owner has a lot of contacts. She is a wildlife illustrator by proffesion prior to opening the gallery and has been poublished widely. Part of todays lunch discussion was based around whom and how I should be submitting some of my works to for publication via her contacts.

Who knows....we'll see how all of this pans out over time :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom