getting rid of background/see photo

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by marc, Sep 1, 2005.

1. marc

marc Guest

wow, this only took two weeks!

i need some help, we took a bunch of group shots indoors

the photos are excellent, the problem is this
    1. we want to remove a large photo hanging on wall in center of photo
    2. we want to remove a chandelier hanging in photo
    3. we want to remove a firebox cover on left side of photo.

we would like to remove these objects and just do a simple color replace, like the wall or ceiling color.

i have photshop cs2, please keep it simple , we need help from all you ps, geniuses.

marc

just want to clean up the shots, we do not know how to post or we would just let you see them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2005
  2. Ok you want it simple and clear. The first part is easy of your question!

Simple thing is that you can use the Clone stamp tool or the Patch tool or healing brush. If you have a example of your photo and could put the image online. Then we could maybe help you better. By showing what we done and show a result.

The easy part is not as easy without showing how to do it. But i think you can search for cloning tutorials or patch tool tutorials. For example portrait retouching tutorials mostly show how to take away blemishes with the patch or healing brush.

For replacing the painting with the wall color i would use a clone tool but i dont know the photo so i would try that.

For the chandlier i would use also the clone tool to get back the background from beside the chandlier.

And for the Fire box cover i don't know exactly what you mean but again i think i would use the clone tool.

The clone tool can used to select a other part of the photo to replace the part you want to get rid off. You decide the size en what you want to clone.

I hope it helps a little bit. Maybe somebody else can delibirate it better then me.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

3. marc

marc Guest

needless to say i am dissapointed, i could not get a better responce.

if i could post i would sorry

marc

4. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Marc,
    There are many experts on this forum and many who could help you. Just hang in there and they'll show up with suggestions for you. Keep bumping your post up so it gets attention.. I wish I could help you but can't.

Don't get discouraged ...I think over the holiday people are away or not lookng at the cafe.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Marc,
    You should post the image so it will be easier to get an idea of what needs to be done. Just a discription does not help much.

Or go to the retouching room on dpriview and do post the image though

6. Well Marc, these are difficult questions to answer without seeing what you are trying to do. The picture on the wall can usually be removed with simple cloning, I just did one from a paid shoot I was on. The chandeleir could be more difficult but could probaly be done with layers and masks, Same for the firebox cover. I will suggest Scott Kelby's "Photoshop CS for Digital Photographers" where he gives many step by step examples. By the way I am not a Photoshop guru, just trying to learn myself. Sorry I can't give you more help.

7. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Marc,

Post the images in the retouching forum over at the DPR site.

Most savvy and helpful folks over there.

It's probably the most useful and friendly forum on that site.

HTH

:wink:

8. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
  9. marc

marc Guest

i want to post the image , but i cannot, it says no attachments

i do not have any way of posting
    can you help

it is a family group picture
    it was taken in a restaurant, on the wall behind the group, is a large photo , hanging for decoration, the heads od the backrow are in front of the photo.

i want to get trid of the photo and just use a painted wall.

marc

10. Marc -

"No Attachments" doesn't mean you can't post pictures. Everyone's profile restricts them from creating attachments to posting.

To include a picture with your post, it needs to already be on a site somewhere that can be cross-linked by your posted message (see this post for a description of how to do this).

If you don't have any place to host your photo, I'd be happy to put it online for you on my pbase site so that others can help you better. If you want to do this, please email the photo to at the address listed here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    images are not posted as attachments Marc.

That is not enabled in this forum...

You need instructions on HOW to post an image in here. Now I got ya.

I really don't know how to explain it to you.

Go to the faq page and there are instructions there.....How to post an image :>)))))

12. Marc,

Let me know if you still can NOT post pictures.

13. OK...here's a quick attempt....mostly just with clone tool...and a little paint brushing.... :smile:
    35106877-L.

14. marc

marc Guest

mike,

that's great, but how did you get rid of photo, behind their heads?

15. marc

marc Guest

jay

photo now posted

thanks

16. a lot of it you can just select with the magic wand tool and delete....can also be done with the clone tool.......once you get rid of what you want to get rid of, then paint back in the color of the wall behind with a brush of varying size depending on how close you are to the people.....must use a magnified image, of course.....

I am certainly not an "expert"...so this is really not hard once you get the hang of it....there are others here who may show you some more "advanced" ways......... :smile:

17. marc

marc Guest

photo is finally posted, thanks for you help

marc

18. Is this good for a edit.

1st i used extract tool in Adobe photoshop to cut out the people.
    2nd i used the history brush to get some details back
    3th i used the eraser tool to lose the parts that i did not wanted
    4th i made a new background
    5th i used a light effect to great the lighting of the window in the background
    6th i cropped it and uploaded it

[​IMG]

19. Yes, I like it and think it is a much better way to present this group photo. The background is just enough and does not overwhem the subjects. Great job!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

20. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Vince! That's great. I was looking at the picture, trying to think of how to get the wall looking right, since the picture in the picture was so large. You just took over the ENTIRE background - nice job and excellent 'outside the box' solution!

Would you mind to expound on your step 5 though? How did you use the lighting effect?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005