Getting Rid of Stuff

Wife and I moved recently and I had to move my room full of photography "stuff". New place is bigger so it wasn't a matter of having less space to store stuff. Some choices were easy, e.g. Pelican cases of flash gear, camera bags, and lenses and bodies. Others were iffy - do I really need to keep a D2xs. Didn't want to junk it so I kept it even though I don't use it at all. Some stuff didn't make the cut - mostly old boxes for batteries, flash triggers, tripods and accessories - recycled. Kept the boxes for the bodies and bigger glass.

Having been on the Cafe since the late 2000s, I remember seeing posts where people preferred to have original boxes. I guess I've aged past that point in life. :)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I am going through the same process now in an attempt to rid myself of all my gear so that I can purchase a Z6 or Z7. I am amazed at all of the stuff that I have accumulated over the years.

I remember seeing posts where people preferred to have original boxes.
I was told early on that if the owner has kept the boxes, that indicates to many people that the owner probably properly maintained the equipment. If purchasing equipment from that owner, those people would then feel at least a bit more comfortable about seriously considering a purchase.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was told early on that if the owner has kept the boxes, that indicates to many people that the owner probably properly maintained the equipment. If purchasing equipment from that owner, those people would then feel at least a bit more comfortable about seriously considering a purchase.
Yup, though I don't know why they would be correlated. I store stuff in Pelican cases or padded bags, not in the cardboard box.. I never sell stuff though.

I stashed my Nikon gear in Pelican cases and various camera bags as well as my armoire in the living room, but hung on to the cardboard boxes in which various cameras had arrived, and sometimes used them for storing receipts or other photography-related paperwork. When the day came that I traded in my gear I found myself still wanting to hang on to at least a couple of the boxes as they were so convenient, even though I was discarding the old outdated receipts and warranty papers. If I had been selling my gear to a private individual, I would have provided the boxes, but in this case I wasn't, and was trading in to a local shop.

I'm keeping the boxes for my current gear and so far that hasn't been a storage issue. I also keep boxes that my Apple products come in, too, and put a lot of them to use in different ways.

I still have a lot of accessories and miscellaneous photo-related stuff that has accumulated over the years and which for the most part I'm not using, but have not yet taken the time to go sorting through all of that.... A good project for next winter, maybe!

Along these lines, just last week, I packed up and sent out for sale my long-loved, ancient and heavy, but awesome Nikon 400/2.8 AFS-ED. I acquired it here at the Café way back when in the former version of the For Sale Forum from a good friend and hugely-missed early contributor, Dave Dickerson. I'm thinking that I might go mirrorless for another long reach rig, maybe the Olympus OM-D EM1 Mark III so that it can afford 200 - 800 equivalent reach (!) with the Panasonic-Leica 100-400 lens mounted. I'd appreciate any input about that possibility.

Along these lines, just last week, I packed up and sent out for sale my long-loved, ancient and heavy, but awesome Nikon 400/2.8 AFS-ED. I acquired it here at the Café way back when in the former version of the For Sale Forum from a good friend and hugely-missed early contributor, Dave Dickerson. I'm thinking that I might go mirrorless for another long reach rig, maybe the Olympus OM-D EM1 Mark III so that it can afford 200 - 800 equivalent reach (!) with the Panasonic-Leica 100-400 lens mounted. I'd appreciate any input about that possibility.
Before you spring for the 100-400, compare it to the Oly 300 f4. When I had the EM1 MII, a local store had both in stock and I did an AB comparison because I was thinking of getting the 100-400. I ended up skipping the 100-400. The images just seemed to have better contrast and clarity and the Synch IS made a difference as well. Oly now has a 2x teleconverter now that works with the 300. For a compact set-up at those focal lengths I still think the Oly is a good system.

Before you spring for the 100-400, compare it to the Oly 300 f4. When I had the EM1 MII, a local store had both in stock and I did an AB comparison because I was thinking of getting the 100-400. I ended up skipping the 100-400. The images just seemed to have better contrast and clarity and the Synch IS made a difference as well. Oly now has a 2x teleconverter now that works with the 300. For a compact set-up at those focal lengths I still think the Oly is a good system.
Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom