1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Getting shots with AF 50mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Yanki01, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Yanki01

Yanki01

Aug 10, 2008
    Texas
    Just wondering, im a complete n00b at lense and what the numbers mean. Ive seen some pictures of people shooting with the 50mm f/1.8 and was wondering if it will get some nice shots on shooting something about 20-30ft away or is this lense mainly for close up shots? I know its good for low lighting areas and its pretty fast. How will it look, im mainly into taking pics of people (family), my car in nice areas and some nice close up's and i dont plan on spending a ton of $$$ for a lense even though i know ill get some nice pics. thanks for the help!!

2. HI Robert,

You'll get beautiful shots with a 50mm lens at 20 feet from your subject. For some 50mm is a little long on a 1.5x crop body but it's a great focal length for many things and a great place to start to learn about lenses and depth of field. You can get very close with that lens also so you're not limited by that lens. I would work with it before spending any money on other lenses. Once you have a sense of what you like to shoot and what that focal length will or won't do for you then you can better assess your needs and make educated decisions as to other lens purchases.

3. sparticat

sparticat

May 29, 2008
    Illinois
    Be aware that the Nikon 50/1.8 will not auto focus on your D40 since it (the lense) does not have an internal focus motor.

4. Yanki01

Yanki01

Aug 10, 2008
    Texas
    will it be hard to MF it any?

5. August 19, 2008

The lens should fit on your D40 camera it will not autofocus. You will have to focus the lens manually. No it is not hard to turn the focus ring in the manual mode.

This lens is one of Nikon's best pieces of inexpensive glass, that according to some photographers produces outstanding results. Many photographers claim that this lens is capable of producing professional results. Stop the lens down to the F4 to F11 range, focus very carefully and you should get some great photos.

I just purchased my second 50mm AF-D F1.8 lens from B&H last month for $110.00 and I'm quite pleased with it.

Get the Nikon HR-2 rubber lenshood with for this lens, (however a generic 52mm lenshood made from rubber) will work as well, and will probably be lower priced then the Nikon hood.

Experiment with this lens, and use it You won't be disappointed. Post some of your photos, after you use this lens, other NikonCafe members might be interested in viewing them. Have fun.

Steve Zalewski
    Syracuse, NY

6. Manually focusing can sometimes be challenging but very rewarding. I haven't used this lens so I don't know what the MF ring feels like or what degree of accuracy there is so it's hard to say whether it's going to be easy or difficult.

If you're concerned about MF or are not up for it then it's probably not a great choice but if you're up for the adventure of MF it could be a great investment.

7. Yanki01

Yanki01

Aug 10, 2008
    Texas
    well i think ill try to get the feel for the kit lense first before i splurge on another one. I might look into finding another "all around" type of lense for all types of shooting? Thanks for the help, ill keep this in mind!

8. I have gotten many shots with the 50mm f/1.8D that I would have missed or had to use flash with the 18-55. I say get it, learn to use it, and delete the "focus-challenged images" (and there will be many). The sharpness of the lens is too fun to pass up. Unless the lighting conditions or composition demand otherwise, keep it an an f-stop that gives you a little cushion on depth of field.

That said, low(er) light with thin DOF is a challenging focus job, especially if your subject is young, fast-moving kids. The D40's focus indicator (the green dot at the lower left of the viewfinder) works well, but if you are close to a face using an aperature with a thin depth of field (e.g., shooting at f/1.8), the focus brackets can cover a large enough area whose change in depth exceeds your available depth of field. Also the focus and recompose technique doesn't work well with thin depth of field, so the focus brackets can limit your composition options a bit.

However, the low light, sharpness, and subject isolation benefits are well worth it given the budget price. Don't wait. For example, here's recent birthday and early-morning back to school (not perfect but fun):

DSC_6996.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_7199.jpg

DSC_7122.jpg

These are small, but see a fuller sized version of the middle one here (hoping the link works). I think it was at f/2.8.

9. Yanki01

Yanki01

Aug 10, 2008
    Texas
    very nice Clay, i really like these shots for being low light. i could of used the 50 f/1.8 for a birthday the other week. i might make the jump sometime within the next couple of months or so? thanks for the help!

10. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    You can use the green dot on your D40x. It works very well in any light, except night conditions. D40x AF system is just not good enough for that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.