Getting Started in the wedding business

This is my first official year in the wedding business, on my own. This is from a wedding I recently did and all comments and critiques are welcome!! The watermark is because I posted these on my blog so I'm sorry in advance!!!

Thanks!

natalie1_small.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

natalie2_small.jpg

natalie4_small.jpg

natalie5a_small.jpg

natalie6_small.jpg

natalie7_small.jpg

natalie8_small.jpg

She was pretending to be annoyed with him..they were funny!

natalie9_small.jpg

natalie10a_small.jpg

natalie11_small.jpg

natalie12_small.jpg

You had a great couple to work with. That was one helluva kiss! Creative poses and excellent post processing, Michelle. The shots of the flower girl and the grandma convince me you'll be a success.

Thank you...but no, this is not my first wedding. This is my first year out on my own, I worked for a studio a couple of years ago and I'm finally doing my own thing :) it's a little scary for me

Tough times in the wedding business right now. There's no end of offerings at $500, and a big trend toward backyard weddings with Uncle Bob and his Digital Rebel doing the photography. But there will always a market for quality work... I hope. Make sure to visit the Making Money forum. You might pick up some ideas... or give us some.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for the link, I will for sure check that out :)

It is a tough time for the wedding business..and everyone is a photographer so it's a big competitive market right now! I've been working the 9-5 behind a desk for so long and I'm finally just getting the guts to follow my dreams....so...i hope it ends up ok..if not..at least I can say I tried :)

Tough times in the wedding business right now. There's no end of offerings at $500, and a big trend toward backyard weddings with Uncle Bob and his Digital Rebel doing the photography. But there will always a market for quality work... I hope. Make sure to visit the Making Money forum. You might pick up some ideas... or give us some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you...but no, this is not my first wedding. This is my first year out on my own, I worked for a studio a couple of years ago and I'm finally doing my own thing :) it's a little scary for me

Well done! and congrats for going out on your own

Don't apologize for those watermarks - they aren't in the way at all - which is a PROBLEM

Your placement lends itself to very easy cropping in almost every shot, without any loss of the subjects in the image

I would move the watermark to the middle and shrink these down much further if I was going to post them - make the watermark more obtrusive, so that it does its job

you're right..i had not thought of that before! thank you for the heads up, I shall fix this for my blog :)

Well done! and congrats for going out on your own

Don't apologize for those watermarks - they aren't in the way at all - which is a PROBLEM

Your placement lends itself to very easy cropping in almost every shot, without any loss of the subjects in the image

I would move the watermark to the middle and shrink these down much further if I was going to post them - make the watermark more obtrusive, so that it does its job

thank you for the link, I will for sure check that out :)

It is a tough time for the wedding business..and everyone is a photographer so it's a big competitive market right now! I've been working the 9-5 behind a desk for so long and I'm finally just getting the guts to follow my dreams....so...i hope it ends up ok..if not..at least I can say I tried :)

there are always going to be new entrants to the market and wedding photography is a business that has little regulation, low barrier to entry (just a camera!) and that's all you need

however to make money is not an easy thing,. it seems the majority have other jobs and enjoy wedding photography but do not rely on it for a living

there are potential clients at all price points as there should be,. it's rather arbituary to complain about those who charge $500 - surely then the photographers who charge 10k should be complaining about the ones who charge 5k and the ones who charge $500 complain about those who do it for free,.

personally I don't think it matters if you charge nothing, $500 or $50000 for shooting a wedding, if the client is happy with the results then...?

personally I don't think it matters if you charge nothing, $500 or $50000 for shooting a wedding, if the client is happy with the results then...?

It certainly matters if she's trying to make a living from it, Silver. :rolleyes: Unless she's on a suicide run, she has to cover incremental expenses for each event (travel and prints at a minimum), as well as amortize her investment in cameras, lenses, and computer gear, which easily runs into five figures for a well equipped wedding photographer. And after paying state and federal taxes, she'll need to have enough left over to pay for a roof over her head, food for the table, a car, insurance, etc. The fact that a large number of her competitors will offer her potential clients $500 packages is certainly germane, as she will need to match their prices or differentiate her offering in order to book any business.

I realize you're well established, but perhaps you've forgotten how difficult it was to start your wedding practice.

actually I don't think it gets any easier going forward than just starting,. the thing is there are potential clients at all price points,. from free to $$$ and photographers who service those markets,.

I guess I don't get the complaining,. backyard weddings or craigslist photographers or $500 photographers,. there are many who do wedding photography for fun and there are many good photographers (I would guess!) who advertise on craigslist or charge $500 / wedding and clients who want to have their wedding in their backyard,. the market is diverse and that is surely a good thing? :smile:

yep, I try,.

There's no end of offerings at $500, and a big trend toward backyard weddings with Uncle Bob and his Digital Rebel doing the photography. But there will always a market for quality work...

how can we know that uncle bob shooting a backyard wedding for $500 with his digital rebel will not provide 'quality work'?

how can we know that uncle bob shooting a backyard wedding for $500 with his digital rebel will not provide 'quality work'?

We don't. Uncle Bob could be a retired wedding photograph, though his use of an entry level camera might suggest otherwise. In point of fact, Uncle Frank (me) flew back to Boston shot his niece's wedding last December as a wedding gift.

427206734_7RGFm-XL.jpg

But in doing so, I reduced the number of weddings available to local photographers by one. That's the point I was making - the pool of available clients has shrunk during these hard economic times.

I have done likely no more than a dozen weddings in the last 30 years. In each and every one, I made it a point to capture images of the parents and grandparents as at least 30% of the total number of mages. They were the parties that were paying the bills!

More importantly, although the parents and grandparents were not the main subjects, they lay the foundation for which the happy couple shall build upon their life together. Including them as pivotal parts of a wedding gives them something to look upon as an important contribution towards building the family unit.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Good luck and fare well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom