Getting the FG up to speed - battery info needed

My late son was given a pristine FG complete with manual, leather case, and 50mm E series. I've used the E lens for several years, and have in fact now amassed a manual lens stable of 24, 35, 50, 100, and 200 Nikon or third-party lenses. So it is time to get serious about the camera.

I notice that the camera takes a 3v lithium cell, or two 1.55v Silver-Oxide cells, or two 1.5v alkaline manganese cells. So, since there are FG users here, I am asking you to save me some time and effort by relaying what you use, from what source, and which of these options if available is best in your opinion.

If all of these are discontinued, does Wein make a useful substitute?

I look forward to the information you wish to share.

Thanks.

The silver oxides. They are the easiest to find and last longer than alkalines.

Real Name
Chris
Silver oxide 357 batteries - stack 2 of them. Cheap, and they last a very long time. Wein Cells do not have the correct voltage, so I would not use them. (That and they go flat in a couple weeks if you use them or not! :eek: )

Well, I just picked up some Duracell 637's from Staples and all seems well. Thanks, Scott, for the lockup tip. It happened right away, and again after I had changed a lens.

My earlier SLR film days were with Canon and the Nikon takes some getting used to, but a little experimentation has taught me the basics (I think). Thank heavens I have the manual. I'll only know after the first print job.

Harry, one word of advice. When you are not using the FG put the shutter speed dial on M90 or B. This will turn off the meter. This will alleviate draining the batteries if the shutter release button is accidently depressed while in storage.

Like Chris I love my FG, I have had it since the early 1980s. I also use the silver oxides and they seem to last forever.

Latest threads

Top Bottom