1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Getting to Know Your Cafe Friends - A Short Addition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minuteman3, Sep 25, 2008.

1. It's been fun reading through these threads. There's one question that popped into my head that I would like to ask/share.

Most beautiful thing you have seen that you would like to have an image of ... but don't?

I've seen a lot over the years, but one night really stands out. Flying in a KC-135R tanker over the Eastern US around midnight. Clear as a bell outside. I was lying alongside the boom operator at the back preparing for a mid-air refueling. We were at about 28,000 feet, 350 knots or so, somewhere over the Carolinas. Seeing lights of homes and small towns passing below us. Then, from out of the darkness, comes a B-52 bomber behind us and below us. Slowly, it moves into position about 15-20 feet away. The boomer hooks up the refueling probe and we begin passing fuel. I can clearly see the B-52's pilots in the red glow of their instrument panel below me. And, below that, the lights of the towns and homes. I distinctly remembering my thoughts ... the people tucked into their beds below us have absolutely no idea that there are two large aircraft overhead, manned by folks in their 20's and 30's (the boomer was in his early 20's), flying 15-20 feet apart, passing fuel over a 8-10 inch pipe. And they do it every day and night.

Of course, being at night with no lights anywhere, there is no way I could get a picture of this whole scene. But, I surely do remember it!!

ADDED: Here's a shot of a similar situation, although it's an F-15 over Okinawa at sunset .... not the dark of night.

p918902028-4.

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Mount Everest, Mount Rushmore & Statue of Liberty - wow seeing these images on tv or just in someone elses pictures draws goosebumps. I would one day love to have these images adoring my wall. Anywone who has any of these please let me know.

3. cameraman

cameraman Guest

Flying through a lightning storm. amazing

4. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Halong Bay, in Vietnam. Everytime I see a photo of it, it takes my breath away. Hopefully, I'll be able to take a picture of it myself...

5. I too have seen a lot of beautiful and lovely things. Recently, I do have photos of most of my expeditions out. However, one trip produced the most gorgeous sunset I have ever seen and didn't get a shot of it. It occured this past January while I was in Yosemite for some snow shots there. I was delayed a little from doing a snowshoe hike to Dewy Point. When I arrived at the trailhead, it was already about 3pm. Dewey Point was 3-4 miles away one way and with snowshoes that is a bit far. I took off and reached the point before sunset (thankfully). However, the sun was fading very quickly and as I crested a small summit, off to my right was the most gorgeous sunset I had ever seen. The reds, oranges, purples, yellows were just gorgeous but by that time my gear was in my bag and I really needed to get off the mountain. I made it to the trail head while there was still a little light but that sunset I'll never forget. I just wish I had a shot of it now.

God Bless,
    David

6. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Good question

Few months ago I was flying from Austin, TX back to Boston and once we got up above the clouds the sky was like nothing I've ever seen. Sort of sunsetty but with big rolling pillows of clouds - see I can't even describe it and that's why I wished I had my camera with me.

Of course even if I had of been carrying my camera I probably wouldn't have known how to shoot through the plane window....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.