Getting to the gold is the most fun, OR , Machine gun wedding.

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by TomP, Jan 11, 2018.

1. We were 5 weeks immersed in Australia, we drove/rode 3500 miles, and had a blast, it was nothing like our normal trips where we take the back roads and small towns, here we really got to see and get the feel of the country and its people, eating out with our friends friends. going on a fire call and to shire fairs and wandering the great divide . This is a day trip to Walhalla Gold Mine VIA one of the many bush tracks we drove

I was driving when I met the Ute, I quickly gave the wheel to Doug, he did the Ute dance as they both Suffled back and forth to find a place to squeeze by, he also managed to get the inside, although the outside might have made a better shot . :***:

original.jpg

original.jpg

A Little Late.
    original.jpg

fascinating Geology, 100,000,000 years ago this was sediment 2000 feet down in a valley, now it is standing up and bent by tremendous pressure.

original.jpg

original.jpg

"A smallish termite mound " I was told.

original.jpg

At a dinner with friends the night before they made great talk of not needing the snorkel on the river crossing, but to be sure and get the camera gear off the floor as the interior would flood. :p :) . Yea they had fun with us.
    Jan was driving, we are serious country folks rough roads are nothing, creeks are minor, but this was a small river.

original.jpg

Walhalla Gold Mine . Never know what you will find. The Grooms Ride with 50 Cal. Machine gun and wedding ribbons.

original.jpg

Wonder what it cost to trailer the brides rig up the mountain for the 100 meter ride.

original.jpg

We finally made it to the gold mine. People were very nice, took down the mangers office barriers and let us in to take all the pics we wanted, even took out 90 year old ledgers out so we could shoot the pages of files. Very Cool.

original.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Those are simply fabulous shots with stories to match!

3. Looks like you really had a blast, Tom, and I envy you those adventures. Well documented with great photos!

4. Fascinating series. Thanks for sharing.

5. Thank you for posting these!

6. Thanks for looking folks and letting me share, My and Jan's most unusual adventure of a beautiful land. She shoot a lot of images here and she used to run a darkroom. Rural Victoria reminded us very much of 1963 America, towns with a butcher baker green grocer, and no fast food to be found. .

My Buddy Doug and his wife Margo, hosted our stay and helped make all this possible. Doug is a retired pro photographer, Margo shoots also and they were business partners in commercial and Industrial. He went to work with Kodak right out of college. He has more gear in his studio that a cat has fleas, must have kept every lens and body he did not wear out, all in 6 gallon jugs of dehumidifier beads. He is very assertive, and can sell ice at 90* latitude, and we went places, talked our way into places with a mystery
    technique that must be shared by street photographers and photojournalist. It all went well until the barb wire incident, and then when we entered what we thought was a 100+ YO a derelict building only to find an active, but down on it's knees pub. His quick conversation shift and mannerism gave us free run of the first floor, and the ladies bar. It was day after day of small adventures like this, from crocodiles at shire fairs to fog and mist in what they call mountains. It was a hell of a trip folks.

7. Tom, your unbridled excitement fro, this trip is so obvious. And every thing you share makes me want to either replicate it or at the very least go out and shoot. I can't think of a better inspiration than that!
    Cheers old buddy.

8. Thanks Nick. The planets just aligned, the kids were generous with their surprise as were Doug and Margo with their hospitality. We enjoy travel, short or long, exploring is fun and we are very curious, and have found many dead end roads with a gift at the end. Hiked 220 miles of the AT with a 5 and 7 year old . We are rich with memories. Our host Margo, told me she saw her home entirely differently through my eyes .

9. That's what life as a senior citizen is all about, right! Life is good.

10. That it is Nick, now if it just did not take a whole day to post things.:cautious:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  11. And by senior I don't mean old. I mean senior ("holding a high and authoritative position")

12. Nick the only senior position I hold is the honor of removing 3 county politicians and missing the forth one by only 13 votes, after a 2 -1/2 year fight . Damn it was sure fun.:)

13. You did well my friend.

14. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    Oh wow! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I guess if everything is upside down in Australia, the 5-weeks really only took you 2.5 weeks to do? Or did you get back here before you left?

Will you have a final travel blog when you finish processing the pictures?

15. Thanks Bill, i think we did leave on the forth and get home on the third, but not sure since home trip went south, flight delay led to 57 hour trip with 5 airports and only 8 hours sleep to our home. Not sure about a blog, our outings were 3 or 5 a week, allowing for our age, and very different in content. I had a lot of different interest, agricultural items and their gravity irrigation for example, things that would not be of much interest, nor would bouncy fire calls in the bush. I have, to the protest of some of my followers turned my county political F B page into a travel blog . It was sitting idle anyway.