Getting your pictures taken by your spouse.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Riki, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    You are on a weekend trip with your spouse, who already is not to supportive of your newly acquired hobby, having resented every minute you have spent aimlessly on the Black Web Page and of late on the Grey and Turquoise Blue striped Web Page.

Suddenly you reach a most picturesque place, blue water, blue skies, birds etc etc. Really scenic. Out comes the D2X and you shoot off couple of pics, trying out everything in the book, feeling really on top of the world. Then you notice your wife standing there and start taking some pictures of her against this wonderful backdrop. All nice compositions and decent exposures.
    She decides that she wants to take your picture and you hand over your baby to her. Of course before doing so, the first thing you do is change the AF ON to Shutter, since this is how you have trained her from the days of the film cameras’ to press the shutter half and then squeeze.
    You use the same settings that you did when you took her picture. She carries the heavy load in her delicate hands, barely managing to take a few shots and hands the camera back to you. You check the histogram and it seems fine. You go back and check the picture on the computer and yes, it’s a good exposure , but she has framed the shot for the scene and not for you. So you are completely dark and no amount of +EV will bring you out of the noise. You can say nothing except praise the shot. If you say something, then finished, she will never take another picture again.
    This is a typical scene which I am sure a majority of photographer’s face when on a holiday with their spouses.

So what is the answer to this problem. You buy her another camera, point and shoot kind. But you are not ready to accept any other camera results after the D2X, so what do you do ? Do you accept that for every holiday you take, there will be no pictures of yourself or acept the dark pictures.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Riki,

You can do a few different things in this situation...but remember one very important thing...if you make her mad, future purchases will elicit very strange and unfavorable looks from her. If she can handle the "X", then teach her how to use it, if it's too much for her, buy her something if she desires her own camera. Then a lesson or two on how to compose. Help her express her artistic creativity. Involve her in post shoot workflow so she understands that tweaking images is fun, too.

But remember, if she gets the impression that she has done something wrong, or at least not up to your standards, that may turn her off totally. Personally, I think that you can open up some great things here, just by including her in your shooting.

Have fun...........................

4. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Riki,
    It's amazing how things are the same all over the world. Your only mistake was not setting and locking the exposure. Everything else you did was perfect.
    Mike

5. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Riki,

When I told my wife I was taking up photography instead of golf she was so happy she decided to join me. We have been shooting together for over 25 years now and it was the best decision I ever made (I was a lousy golfer anyway).

We just had our 39th anniversary on the 3rd and photography has contributed a lot our relationship. It has always been something we could do and enjoy doing with each other.

So encourage her to improve even if the pics of you aren't the best. The time you spend together is important and she may grow into a better shooter than you thought.

Jack

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    OK Paul, I'll admit it.....she is a better shooter than me! Ouch!

Jack

8. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks Jack for your nice reply. My son has just been presented with a D70s and we are both making a two pronged attack on my wife to get her in our team :). She has handled a camera ever since I met her which is more than half her life in fact she has a better eye in compositions than me, but she finds the D2 series just too big. I dont make things easier also, when I land home with bigger and bigger lenses each time, the last one being the 300/2.8VR.

9. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Riki,

Give her some lessons. I admit, a certain degree of interest on her part is necessary. But, I'll bet she'd learn the AF-On button and a few other basics if you took some time.

This shot of me was taken by my 14 year old daughter with my D2X. One could criticize the horizon line - or praise the rest. I took the latter path.

Tom

original.

10. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    I agree Tom, am working on that path. Lets see. Nice picture by the way.
    I was thinking that wouldnt it be nice if everyone in this forum added to this thread by posting a normal untouched, straight out of the camera picture taken by their spouse, regardless of the quality of the picture, if its in focus or not, if its over or under , whatever ?

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I work in west Texas a lot, and one of my colleagues there has a very simple and very much to-the-point expression on this issue ...

"If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy 'round here !"

Sound advice, IMO.

John P.

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    My wife has yet to take a single picture with my camera. Somewhere she has a point-n-shoot film camera that she occasionally used for vacation snapshots but even that was years ago. I think she looks at all the gear I carry/use and just finds the whole thing intimidating, not to mention the idea of post-processing. She does enjoy going on outings with me, suggesting shots, etc, she just doesn't seem interested in taking pictures herself.

I'm hoping that maybe if/when I get a second body I can get her to try the D70 with medium zoom lens in auto-everything mode (after all it would save me from carrying around the spare body in my bag/pack. :D ).

13. My wife is an avid digital photographer, but doesn't want to touch anything more complicated than the Coolpix 4300 I bought two years ago. However, she does get some amazingly good pictures with it. :oops:

14. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

I had to buy my wife equipment. I even gave her my D2H to use. She let's me teach her and takes to it very well. The only problem I have is the more I teach her, the more she gets better and consequently wants better stuff. She's got Lens Lust now... It's killing me.... She needs to get a job!!!! :)