Ghost Towns/Ruins in Southwest Colorado

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JeffKohn, Aug 26, 2008.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    We spent the last week of July in the Ouray, Colorado area hiking and exploring the San Juan mountains. This area had a lot of mining activity in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and there are many remnants from that time period in the area. Here are a few of the spots we visited. Click on any image for gallery page with EXIF/lens info, C&C appreciated as always.

Cabin and Wildflowers, Animas Fork Ghost Town
    original.

Duncan House, Animas Fork Ghost Town
    original.

Historic Home Near Idarado Mine, Exterior #1
    original.

Historic Home Near Idarado Mine, Exterior #3
    original.

Historic Home Near Idarado Mine, Interior #1
    original.

Historic Home Near Idarado Mine, Interior #2
    original.

2. Geoff, nice series, not too sure about the last image though....see what you were trying to convey.

The d300 seems to be working well, like the B&W conversions.

Overall, good effort

3. Hi Geoff,

Very nice pictures

4. Very nice series, Jeff. Found yourself some cooler temperatures? SW Colorado is one of my favorite areas. July - end of September it's filled with color. But I do like you B&Ws of the old structures as it adds an element of age. Did you make it to Yankee Boy Basin?

5. Nice set Jeff!

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Ron - Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Arthur & Dez - thank you for looking.

David - Thanks, that area is definitely on our list of favorites now, too. Yes it was nice to get away from the heat and enjoy some mountain scenery and air. Didn't make it all the way up to Yankee Boy Basin unfortunately, go sidetracked in the area by the falls and didn't have time. Still working on the landscape/wildflower shots.

7. Jeff,
    superb work!
    Kevin P.

8. Cool dude.. last two shots look like almost ready to move in the place...

9. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice series. The old buildings are fascinating. #1 with looking uphill to the cabin is my favorite. The foreground really leads the eye beautifully.

10. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Jeff,

Greetings. Interesting set. I particularly like the 5th shot... the color and the light. The last shot is almost there but maybe a slightly wider perspective.

The conversions don't do anything for me (sorry)... The knots on the first one seem too contrasty and the sky is a bit odd for my taste. The second is a bit better, though I think it could use some grain and the last B&W the house looks more a flaw to the scene rather than a subject. No accounting for taste as they say.

Thanks for posting these...

Cheers,

-Yamo-

11. tblazi

tblazi

Jul 9, 2008
    Croatia
    Nice work Jeff, especially like bw and color combination in series.

12. Well done. I like the B&W. It give better feel for a ghost town.

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Kevin - thanks for looking and commeting.

Eric - I guess if you're into fixer-uppers it could have some potential... :) 

Art - thank you for the feedback.

Yamo - no need to apologize, I'm always interested honest opinions. I share your assessment of the Duncan House shot; I liked the composition, but couldn't really get the B/W look I wanted, may have to revisit that one.

Tomislav - thanks for the kind words.

Bill - thanks. I too felt B/W was appropriate for the structures, although when I saw the pastel colors in the interiors I felt color worked there.

14. WOW! I've always wanted to explore a ghost town! These are wonderful photos! I have to say #1 really gets me - the color, the rustic cabin, the background, everything about it! Nice shootin!

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thank you Dianne, I appreciate the feedback.

16. Terrific set Jeff, all beautiful but really like the last few shots.

17. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

Wow I see it. First of the all three rooms are different wall colors and the flooring is different as well. If those walls could talk!

18. IMO the first three are OK (there are millions like them) but the last two are really, really wonderful.
    They are pure eye and composition.

19. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

Well, IMHO, I think they are all very well done in comp, the first and third are my favorites. 1 because of it's colors and contrast, has a warm look but at the same time a chill.
    3 because it evokes a feeling, desperate, cold, something lost.

I think they're excellent.

20. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Louie - thanks for looking
    Seneca - thanks. It was the colors that I found most interesting in those interiors, as well.
    Lew - thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.
    Christy - thanks for taking the time to comment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.