1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Giant Beetle or ?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by PhotoByMark, Aug 10, 2005.

1. I do not know what this thing is but, it has got some big pinchers and can fly. A flying beetle or perhaps a moth? I do not know my bugs real well.

Shot with 105 Micro, Handheld - way up on my porch ceiling.

32804995_eeaa81cce5_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeow!! I think I'd take a 12-gage with me the next time you go out. :lol:

3. Looks pretty intimidating, doesn't it?
    That's an alderfly (also called dobson fly) - Order Megaloptera. The larvae are aquatic and look no less intimidating.
    There aren't so many species so it should be pretty easy to get a more precise ID. I will have a look during the day.
    Cheers

4. Two 12 Gauges-No plug - fully loaded!

Fortunately it did not fly at me! I am not fond of giant pincher flying bugs.

5. Thanks Harry! I will look it up. I got a book on Texas bugs somewhere around here. But for now. Off to Google I go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.