Giant Water Bug, not for the squeamish.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Apr 24, 2005.

1. I made myself a 4 " high x 6" deep and 8" wide mini aquarium today, no divider so I good get better pictures of the larger creatures.

I did get a bit of a reflection this guy is so big I am about three feet back with the 200 f4 micro so that makes it touchier.

Here is the hunting position, there ambush hunters they just wait for something to come by.
    20359925-L.

And here is with the prey, the bug didn't have any trouble with a 1-1/4" long feeder fish.

20359926-L.

Martin

D70, 200 f4 micro, ittl flashes.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Gives a whole new meaning to "fish dinner"....good shots as usual!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL Leigh.

So that is what the big ugly, hard crusted creature is. Yes they are rather big. I see them on land at times.

Wonder if it is the same thing. hummm

Bugs don't bother me to much.

I hate snakes. Scare me to death. Carefull about spiders. Some give badddddd bites. The Brown Recluce her in Florida is Baddddd Bad spider.

Great shots. Seems like a fun thing you do.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very impressive Martin.

Regards,

Frank

5. That guy is a killer for sure. Nice image.

6. Thanks all, there not as clear as I would like, I just used some glass I had laying around, picture frame glass is 2 mm and would have been better also the more water there is I guess you loose also I will have to try to get him closer to the front.

Martin

7. This is a Water Scorpion.
    Family Nepidae, (approx 231 species). ? Nepia cineria.
    Vicious blighters, but if you really want some fun get a tank ( vivarium)full of ASSASSIN BUGS.
    BW. Bob F.

8. Hi Bob, my book shows the Water Scorpions as a lot slimmer and with out the claw on the end of the fore legs, also this guy is almost three inches long on the body which is a lot bigger than our local water scorpions.

Haven't found any Assassin Bugs but that sounds like something to try. :lol:

Martin

9. Do not try Assassin Bugs. Too damn dangerous. I will get another opinion on the insect in question for you tomorrrow. If it is not a species of water scorpion then will be very interested to know what it is.

BW. Bob F.

10. WHOA!! Bugs catching and eating fish?!?! Who would have ever thought?!?! Thanks for sharing this. :D :D :D :D

11. Giant Water Bug is the actual name of it, or you might know it as Lethocerus amercanus.

Martin

12. Now I now it. It is the 'Toe Biter'. Sorry about the previous error. did not realise it was that big.

BW. Bob F.