Giant Water Bug, not for the squeamish.

I made myself a 4 " high x 6" deep and 8" wide mini aquarium today, no divider so I good get better pictures of the larger creatures.

I did get a bit of a reflection this guy is so big I am about three feet back with the 200 f4 micro so that makes it touchier.

Here is the hunting position, there ambush hunters they just wait for something to come by.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here is with the prey, the bug didn't have any trouble with a 1-1/4" long feeder fish.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Martin

D70, 200 f4 micro, ittl flashes.

LOL Leigh.

So that is what the big ugly, hard crusted creature is. Yes they are rather big. I see them on land at times.

Wonder if it is the same thing. hummm

Bugs don't bother me to much.

I hate snakes. Scare me to death. Carefull about spiders. Some give badddddd bites. The Brown Recluce her in Florida is Baddddd Bad spider.

Great shots. Seems like a fun thing you do.

Thanks all, there not as clear as I would like, I just used some glass I had laying around, picture frame glass is 2 mm and would have been better also the more water there is I guess you loose also I will have to try to get him closer to the front.

Martin

Bob the Spiderman said:
This is a Water Scorpion.
Family Nepidae, (approx 231 species). ? Nepia cineria.
Vicious blighters, but if you really want some fun get a tank ( vivarium)full of ASSASSIN BUGS.
BW. Bob F.
Hi Bob, my book shows the Water Scorpions as a lot slimmer and with out the claw on the end of the fore legs, also this guy is almost three inches long on the body which is a lot bigger than our local water scorpions.

Haven't found any Assassin Bugs but that sounds like something to try. :lol:

Martin

Do not try Assassin Bugs. Too damn dangerous. I will get another opinion on the insect in question for you tomorrrow. If it is not a species of water scorpion then will be very interested to know what it is.

BW. Bob F.

Bob the Spiderman said:
Do not try Assassin Bugs. Too damn dangerous. I will get another opinion on the insect in question for you tomorrrow. If it is not a species of water scorpion then will be very interested to know what it is.

BW. Bob F.
Giant Water Bug is the actual name of it, or you might know it as Lethocerus amercanus.

Martin

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom