Giottos Tripods? Does CF Really Matter?

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by AFS, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Hi all.
    So I'm on a bit of a buying spree. There are a lot of gaps in my kit. This is probably the biggest one that I never addressed.

I know I need a good tripod now. I have been using nothing but my hands or a Bogen Monopod until now...but I'm going to be doing a lot more photography with static subjects and possibly longer exposures and shots with much more precise framing and the like- I need a steady platform.

I know Gitzo is the gold standard, so I've given them a long hard look. There are two or three models (1 1300 series 2 1200 series) I'm considering, but cost is an issue for me. The 85mm PC Micro is going to be a huge hit to my budget, and I want a really good head (Markins or RRS), so the cost of a Gitzo is huge to poor me.

So I've looked at alternatives. Bogen just doesn't seem good enough- my monopod yes but not for a really good tripod.

The one group that stands out is the Giottos lineup. In it there are 6 tripods I would consider, but i'm leaving it to the taller two of each type. The 8170/9170, and the 8180/9180. The 81xx series is Carbon Fiber, the 91xx series is Aluminum, and the ones with the same 2 digit ending have identical specs otherwise. The difference in price is about $100, the difference in weight is a pound or so.
    I've seen a few good comments on the Giottos tripods. They seem to be tall enough for me without the center column extended according to user info. Plus, the center column is that nifty type that can be used at odd angles, meaning that while I may lose stability, I can have a support for odd angle macros and studio shots- especially since it seems I may be making a foray into product photography.
    I'd love to get a Gitzo...but I can get the top of the line Giottos CF for under $300, and the top of the line aluminum version is $100 less.

So I have two questions:
    1) Have you used the Giottos tripods I have mentioned, or the 8160/9160 versions? What is your opinion?

2) Is Carbon Fiber really worth the extra $100+? What do I gain besides some weight shaved off?

2. I prefer Gitzo, but I also have a Carbon Fiber Hakuba that is a very good lightweight tripod. I use an Acratech head on it. My big tripod is a 500 carbon fiber Gitzo with an Arca Swiss B2G ( I think, anyway its a big head). I only use the big guy for big lens stuff or larger format. But when hiking, the Hakuba is hard to beat. The Giottos CF pods don't seem to be all that light, as I recall. I'd say take a look at the Hakuba to start with.

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Have you looked at the Fiesol at fiesol,com. I have the 3401 and I am very happy with it. I have not had my hands on a Gitzo. So I might be blown away by how much better they are. Maybe some folks that have used both could tell you. They fiesols are carbon fiber and are very light. They are also at a good price.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I have 6 aluminum gitzos, and one CF one. I have bent aluminum legs several times, which makes them very difficult to move the leg in and out. When I shelled out $750 for the Gitzo CF legs, I worried that I would break a leg using it in the field as I do (I'm a professional wildlife photographer, so the tripod gets set up on rocks, on hillsides, etc in all types of weather). I've had the CF tripod for 5 years now with no apparent wear. It also appears to be a bit better at dampening vibration than a aluminum one. The weight difference doesn't make that much difference to me as I use a very heavy ball head, but the durability of the CF tripod is definitely a plus.