Girls basketball state championship

Two high schools I cover won small-school Ohio state titles earlier this month; one won a girls title and one won a boys. Here are a few pictures from the girls team's semifinal and final.

Fort Loramie won all but one of its tournament games by 30 or more points -- with that other win coming by an 11-point margin. The squad won its semifinal by 42 points and the Division IV final by 34. It's been a year in the making for the team, which was slated to play in the state tournament last year before COVID derailed the remainder of the postseason. The squad was undefeated last year and almost assuredly would have won that title, too. The Redskins finished 29-1 this year.

The tournament was held at University of Dayton Arena for the first time this year. College basketball fans will know that venue is the longtime First Four/play-in game host site. Awesome lighting there -- so great that I shot with the D500 instead of the D5 for most of these. I was able to use a 1/1000 shutter speed at ISO 2,500.

Photographers were not allowed on the court due to COVID protocols; we were seated in the first row of the stands. Being that much further back also played into my decision to shoot action with the D500.

1. State final postgame reaction.

BPB_1238-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Hoisting the trophy.

BPB_1400-Edit.jpg

3. Coach twirling the net

BPB_1450-Edit-2.jpg

4. Coaching hugging a senior shortly before end of state final

BPB_1165-Edit.jpg

BPB_1120-Edit.jpg

BPB_1015-Edit.jpg

7. Only picture from semifinal worth including. There was next to no celebration from players -- it was a very businesslike 42-point win. Luckily they reacted a bit more after the state final.

BPB_0605-Edit-2.jpg

Real Name
Andy
Two high schools I cover won small-school Ohio state titles earlier this month; one won a girls title and one won a boys. Here are a few pictures from the girls team's semifinal and final.
This is a wonderful set of images. Powerful. Heart warming. You have truly captured the joy of victory here. While I'm sure you have plenty of on-court action images that are magazine-worthy, I see that you have selected the offcourt emotional images to share. #1, #3, and #4 will be cherished by the team for years to come; these photographs speak volumes. Excellent work and thanks for sharing it here.

This is a wonderful set of images. Powerful. Heart warming. You have truly captured the joy of victory here. While I'm sure you have plenty of on-court action images that are magazine-worthy, I see that you have selected the offcourt emotional images to share. #1, #3, and #4 will be cherished by the team for years to come; these photographs speak volumes. Excellent work and thanks for sharing it here.
Thank you for the kind words, Andy!
Really nice.
And I am JEALOUS of the amount of lighting you were able to shoot under.
Thanks. Truly awesome lighting in that arena.

In my local HS gym, for basketball, I shoot a 35/1.8, because of the painfully low light level. :(
More and more high school gyms near me are installing LED lights, which has made things easier. Can usually stay somewhere between 4,000 ISO in those and achieve a 1/800 shutter speed. There's only one gym left around here I frequent that requires me to go as high as 12,800.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom