1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Girls Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Tomerrifc, Apr 15, 2007.

1. I finally got a chance to get out and shoot a little bit today. I actually went out looking for the Rugby league that plays over on the lakefront and ended up going up to Montrose and caught a high school girls soccer match, Lake Park vs Latin.

I realized how rusty I am for shooting some fast action like right away. Boy it got really cold out there after a little while. Where is the sun?

View attachment 90760

View attachment 90761

View attachment 90762

View attachment 90763

2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    You call that rusty? Looks pretty good to me. Nice tight shots. My favorites are the #1 and #5, though I really like the action in #2.
    Can't wait to see what you do after the "rust" has worn off.

3. Thanks Jeff, I really didn't feel like I was doing much good out there today. But I'll tell you this, I can't wait to get back out there and get at it again. Thanks so much for looking.

4. Tom,

These are great. Your pictures have a look that I just can't seem to get (I am referring to your pictures in general, not just todays). I use the Nikon 300 f4. I suspect my crops are too tight, but your shots still have a clarity that is eluding me.

Any suggestions? Settings for these shots? Buy a 300 f2.8? (Learn to love being single?)

Thanks in advance.

5. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Rusty indeed....If only I was rusty like that....Great job Ty.This week should be better weatherwise...Look forward to seeing some more of your "rusty" work !

6. very intense action that you have captured

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Rusty huh? I think these are real nice. Mother Nature could have helped with a bit of sunlight and warmth, but your results are plenty good. I tried shooting soccer and I know just how tough it is to follow the action with a long prime. Very nicely done on a cold Saturday in Chicago.

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    great faces Tyrone, very nicely captured

9. Tyrone,

Nice series my friend. My favorites in the five you posted are 1 and 5.

With photo number one I would of cropped the shot even more than you did. The reason why I say this is because even though you have a great DOF, it will bring you eye closer to the action you captured which is outstanding! The player on the far right would be eliminated and by using masks and the blur tool to the right would make this shot pop IMO. The slight motion blur by the foot makes the shot. Both player and defender are well captured which includes there positioning and facial expressions.

Photo number five is perfect IMO. Soccer players always seem to have there heads down. You where lucky it was cold and you have no sun. My biggest problem over the years it keeping the sun on my back. Glare and shadows is your biggest enemy when shooting soccer. I broke my own rule the other Saturday, the game started at 12 noon and I positioned myself incorrectly by not moving as the game progressed. Needless to say, I wasted my time and some great shots.

Rusty you are not.

All my best,

Craig

10. Thanks Mike, your comments are much appreciated. I always struggle with cropping. I shot these in aperture mode at about iso 100 early and 160 a little later. The shutter speed was consistently around 1/500 to 1/640. That was about it. And of course the 300mm f.2.8 helps I'm sure.

11. Thanks Rod, I am hoping to get back out sometime this week if it is nice. I need to get back to shooting some baseball. I may try to get back over to the soccer field today they have a men's league that plays on Sunday's.

12. Thanks Dave for both looking and taking the time to comment, much appreciated.

13. Hey Frank, oh I'm rusty for sure. Thanks so much for your kind comments. And it was plenty cold out there after a few minutes standing with nothing to block the wind coming off the lake.

14. Thanks Randy, I got a few back of the head shots as well. It takes discipline to pull back on the button when there is still a glimmer of action going on as they move away from you. One of the things I hope to conquer this year.

15. Hey Craig, I like your critique of the first shot. I agree that eliminating the player on the right would totally make that shot a lot better. As for the masks and blur business well I ain't that bad of a post processing dude just yet. :smile:

#5 is I too think is near bout a perfect soccer shot. When I saw it after I got home I decided that I would enlarge it and take it out to the next game as an example of what we have to sell. Now all I have to do is go back and get a bunch more of those for the other parents who are going to want the same kind of shots of their kid. :eek: 

I have learned that overcast sky's make for the more even light but don't get me wrong when you can get the sun at the right angle it makes for all the difference in the world. I know what you mean about paying attention to the sun's direction and adjusting your position to maximize the shots we take. There is just so much to remember while we're out there in the heat of the moment. Thanks for your help Craig it is much appreciated.

16. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

i have noticed over the last few years I delete more and more pics as my keeper criteria goes up....
    shot alot keep alot but less

17. Rusty??? cant tell from these pictures Ty they look great

18. Rusty??? cant tell from these pictures Ty they look great

19. Ain't that the truth! Yesterday I had the most difficult time holding in my af-on botton with these stupid leather gloves I had on so with a lot of my shots that dead on snap focus was off. I really needed the gloves though as there was a very brisk cold wind blowing. That's why the sun becomes so important this time of year for us up here.

20. Thanks Mike, these were the best of the lot. I'm sure it's going to take me a couple two three more games to get into a good rhythm. And the way that you're shooting, it'll take me the rest of my natural life to catch up with your rhythm. You're on FIRE! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.