Girls soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by snownow, Jul 27, 2007.

1. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    First off every time I shoot soccer you guys impress me more and more. Its still giving me fits. I'm trying to shoot tighter and tighter, boy its rough. Exposure on white.... :confused:.... I think I will try manual. Thanks for all the adivice you all post.... Any how I need much more practice... so the shots

Girls play rough!
    SC5.
    and push
    sc3.
    and focus on the ball well
    sc2.
    and use the force?
    SC1.
    and even make the same funny faces the boys do.. :)
    SC4.

2. Robert, those are good shots what are you talking about? The action and facial expressions are very good! The issue that we all have is that when you have two teams wearing white and black, and in bright sunlight, one will be blown out no matter what you do. Just plan for the team you want, use + or - EV to get them, and make sure you're focusing on that team so that is what gets metered. Also, if at all possible try to shoot into the sun so that your metering will blow out the brighter background and give more definition to the players. This may save those games where one wears white and one black.

3. these are good
    watch your backgrounds, tighten your crops and maybe a little more USM
    3&4 are very good

4. shoot into the sun ?
    don't worry about blown white or red uniforms...only worry about faces
    shoot RAW

5. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Thanks, I have always tried to keep the sun at my back. It seems to come out better with the faces, I dont fight the shadows too much.

6. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Thanks Randy, any tips on USM. I have been playing with that the most lately. Cant seem to find a happy medium. The better glass and some of the tips i have used from here have made my keeper rate go up, but it still needs to get better.

7. i leave my 'in camera sharpess' on auto and then sharpen to taste. I use Nikon Capture and usually USM 30,5,0 up to 70,8,0....
    I use 2 LCD-s so i can see the pic on 1 lcd while I apply USM.

8. i never shoot into the sun unless i am forced to...
    you usually end up w/ a silhoutte(sp) unless u spot meter and then u blow the background....

i have stopped setting ev to a neg value just because of white uniforms....a blown white jersey is not losing any detail...the d200 in matrix metering does a superb job of handling large dynamic range swings, much better than the d50 or d70s did

9. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Thanks, I will try a bit more USM with the next batch, your numbers are much higer than i have been using. Thanks again.

10. try increasing the magnification when in NC and make sure the faces are sharp

11. wembley

wembley

Mar 26, 2006
    Naples, Fl
    your highlight recovery on #3 and #5 (or your saturation) has made the whites none white. Here is an edit (let me know if you don't want me to post it) with a Levels adjustment (white eyedropper selection on shirt) that gets the shirt white again. Exposure on the faces look good and is whats important as previous posters have said.

original.

wembley
    www.pbase.com/wembley

12. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Nice, I never have a problem with any one editing my photos. Really did make the white pop.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2007
  13. I think thier great too. But I agree with the cropping..