Girls softball - Homage to MikeMac

Inspired by Mike's great photos and even better advice, I went out yesterday to shoot some of my daughter's softball game. The midday florida sun once again was my worst enemy with blown highlights and shadowy faces. I still perservered in an effort to emulate Mike's great sports portraits.

I'm not close, but I'm definitely getting better!

144764076-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

144764072-L.jpg

#3- I caught it!
144764081-L.jpg

144764089-L.jpg

144764104-L.jpg

#6 - Don't look at the ball!!!
144764108-L.jpg

144764114-L.jpg

#8 - Soft, but I finally got the elusive "ball on bat"
144764116-L.jpg

#9 - Fastball! (Through the backstop fence)
144764119-L.jpg

There you go nice tight shots thye look great as gale metioned in post you can try shadows/highlights or a levels adjsutment but you got the hard pert down some very nice captures

Lookin good mitch

don't be afraid to try shadow/highlight in PS:>))

Thanks, Gale.

Maybe it's me, but I always seem to get a strange, brown cast when I use shadow/highlight. I've never been satisfied with the colors after I use this tool.

There you go nice tight shots thye look great as gale metioned in post you can try shadows/highlights or a levels adjsutment but you got the hard pert down some very nice captures

Thanks for looking, Mike! I never shot softball with the 300mm before yesterday. It certainly forced me to think about my composition with each shot.

Super stuff Mitch and a ball on bat shot to boot! I like the tight crops of faces/action.

Does your daughter play on an ASA team in FL? First tourney of the season for my youngest this past weekend. Photographer and Dad had to miss it to though :frown: . Oh well, long season and lots of time to catch up with pics.

Thanks for sharing the series.

Be patient Mitch, it requires plenty of patience shooting with a long prime on a small field. But, the results are well worth the pain of waiting.

T

topher04r1

mitch .... you did a fantastic job .... i really like the last of the series and shot 2 .... try some levels and layer mask's to pull some of the shadow's out and that may help a bit .....otherwise they look great .... dangit thats it.... i'm ordering the 300 2.8 this weekend and its all your MOT)%&#% fault mitch !

Super stuff Mitch and a ball on bat shot to boot! I like the tight crops of faces/action.

Does your daughter play on an ASA team in FL? First tourney of the season for my youngest this past weekend. Photographer and Dad had to miss it to though :frown: . Oh well, long season and lots of time to catch up with pics.

Thanks for sharing the series.

Peter,
She plays on her school softball team. This is not affiliated with the ASA. We play other middle schools in our area and (fortunately) do no traveling.

Thanks for the kind words.

mitch .... you did a fantastic job .... i really like the last of the series and shot 2 .... try some levels and layer mask's to pull some of the shadow's out and that may help a bit .....otherwise they look great .... dangit thats it.... i'm ordering the 300 2.8 this weekend and its all your MOT)%&#% fault mitch !

Hey, thanks for looking at these. I was hoping you would chime in.

I did the PP on all of these in about 30minutes at 0600 this morning. I was just so excited to see these and get them posted. I will go back on some of these and see if I can selectively lighten some of the shadows.

You sold your 300mm, f4 lens. What are you waiting for?? I thought you would have your f2.8 by now. Sigma or Nikon???

T

topher04r1

LMAO ..... Im holding off a few days because my new car comes in today and that should hold the lust at arms length for a bit....... honestly i think i'm going to go nikon ... im not thrilled about paying almost 5 grand for a 300 2.8 but EVERY used lens i have gotten so far has needed something and the warrenty is worth it i guess ......... Do you use a monopod when you shoot with your 300 mitch ?? i think im giong to pull the trigger on that and a 1.4 tele also ...should prove helpfull for football season ....

77370170.gif

You do no have to accept the default. Play with the sliders

LMAO ..... Im holding off a few days because my new car comes in today and that should hold the lust at arms length for a bit....... honestly i think i'm going to go nikon ... im not thrilled about paying almost 5 grand for a 300 2.8 but EVERY used lens i have gotten so far has needed something and the warrenty is worth it i guess ......... Do you use a monopod when you shoot with your 300 mitch ?? i think im giong to pull the trigger on that and a 1.4 tele also ...should prove helpfull for football season ....

I do use a monopod with this lens. There's no way I could hold this lens steady on a D2X for an entire sporting event. I just don't have the guns for it!

I'm now wondering why I bothered to get the VR version of this lens. I shoot mostly sports (like you) with this lens and try to keep the shutterspeed above 1/1000 where VR is just not an issue.

Mitch you did a very nice job with these...I have been having the same thoughts as you with my approach to pics....I just don't have the reach you guys do yet...Someday ...

Mitchell, these are great. There is a free fill flash action on Action Central that does a great job with shadows without changing colors...I think most of these are just fine the way they are..

Mitch you did a very nice job with these...I have been having the same thoughts as you with my approach to pics....I just don't have the reach you guys do yet...Someday ...

Thanks for commenting, Rod. I've always enjoyed your sports pics.

Shooting softball with a long prime was really an interesting experience. It really forced me to go into portrait mode and focus more on faces rather than capturing all of the action on the field.

Mitchell, these are great. There is a free fill flash action on Action Central that does a great job with shadows without changing colors...I think most of these are just fine the way they are..

Thanks for looking at these, Eric. I'll have to check out that action you recommended. I haven't had much luck with the standard PS shadow/highlights tool.

T

topher04r1

mitch ... are you telling me i should save my 2000 bucks and get something w/o VR ?

You've got a good eye....

....some wonderful shots there....facial expressions, action obviously are carefully chosen, and your shots are clear and well-framed. I'm not experienced enough or technically proficient enough to give advice on the shadow problem...but perhaps you can convince them to play without hats? :wink:

mitch ... are you telling me i should save my 2000 bucks and get something w/o VR ?

Topher, I've had this lens now for only 6 weeks. I've used it primarily for shooting sports on a monopod. With the high shutterspeeds required to capture sporting events, I've had the VR turned off the entire time. The VR just gives the lens a bit of lag and in no way helps with the shooting.

I'm beginning to ask myself whether I should have saved the money and looked for a minty 300mm, f2.8 AF-SI or II instead of the new VR version. I just have not had the need or the opportunity to use the VR on this lens. I truly wonder if you will ever use it. It does have the new "nano crystal" coating (whatever that is):biggrin: . I doubt I will be selling my toy, but in retrospect, I am certainly second guessing my decision.

Latest threads

Top Bottom