Girls Softball - too many shots...sorry

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GBRandy, Jun 30, 2007.

1. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Well, I was asked to attend my daughters friend's softball game. So in usual completely geeky fashion I arrived touting large lenses and an ugly daughter denied she knew me the entire game :)

But I don't care much about that are a few from a brutally back lit field as the sun was setting.....not alot of hitting in this one...these girls could pitch.

#8...GAH! cut her feet off...I hate it when that happens

2. wow. these shots are superb! so sharp and so clear. what was your setup? a lot of them are very unflattering, but that's what makes them so nice for me. thanks for sharing!
  3. Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice action and colors well caught in what looks like some tough light
    Thanks for sharing
  4. Man, you nailed this series! I'm seeing the 300 2.8 look to a lot of the shots. #1 is unreal good with sharpness inside the mask.

Ok, Piggly-Wiggly better have won on name alone :smile:
  5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Love the shots! #1, they capture a lot of the emotional intensity!
  6. Well done Randy. Really like #1 and #11. #12 is cute. And #9 highlights the non-flattering comment that Joe mentioned, but is perfect! I know you know all about taking non-flattering shots since you shoot gymnastics. :biggrin: Some of my favorite shots, and usually ones loved by the parents as well, are discarded by the young girls because of a weird facial expression or a body part that looks too fat! :rolleyes:
  7. nice Randy, you're keeping my 300f2.8 LL alive, LOL
  8. GG man, several of these look like the work of MM....
    1, and 5 thru 9 are amazing Randy, some of your best ever (damn dark sider you)
  9. Great shots Randy.
    I love the Piggly Wiggly pitcher - such intensity.

11, while not the greatest lighting wise really tells a story, very cool.

And all at only ISO 250 :biggrin:

10. Hey Randy,

Great show you have here. Looks like the light was different all over the field. You did a great job managing those conditions.
  11. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks! All set at F3.2 or 3.5 on a 300 f2.8 noted below ISO as required, but 250 seemed popular.

Thanks bud....the light was rough on the first base side...

Yes Peter, unlike seem to be able to find the 300 f2.8 fingerprint in a shot. Piggly Wiggly is the name of a grocery chain chain up in my neck of the woods. The TV ads are priceless.....Welcome to small town USA.....I like that BTW, my time in LA never rendered a discount "PIG Card" on my key chain :)

Thanks Jeff, that pitcher had some great expressions....

Oh they all get weird about stuff, but non-flattering I see as intense....hopefully they see it that way as well. I save the non-flattering ones for the year end slide show :eek:

You don't have one yet?!!! :wink: I think you need one....

Thank you Yoda...err Randy....I appreciate that. Darn it! I forgot to drop the EXIF data on these....[dang]...let us all remember I have 27 years of Nikon ownership under my belt as well.

Thanks Don....hope all is well with the Hoofs Shots program!

Thanks Tyrone....The light was a mess and I appreciate you noticing just what a mess it was to work with.....The kids loved the shots and THAT is what really matters.
  12. As usual, superb shots. I particularly like your ability to catch and sort out the facial expressions. Nice job. Thanks.
  13. chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    Very well done!
  14. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Harry.....

I appreciate the kind words...thanks!
  15. Awesome colors....especially some of your skin tones. Very nice.
  16. Excellent set Randy super super job on these way to go
  17. Very nice shots. I like the ones with the ball in play. You really caught the pitcher's intensity.

Thanks, Rich
  18. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Mason....still learning, but things are coming around

I shall print your reply and hang it on my wall :) Coming from someone with your talent that means a lot.

Thanks Rich. I appreciate your kind words.
  19. I get my big chance tomorrow. My eldest son has gotten us box seats for the Nationals - Cubs game tomorrow night. I'm taking the D2X and the 120-300 f/2.8. Weather forecast is ideal. Any suggestions of other lenses to take?....anyone?

Thans, Rich
  20. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Bring the will be surprised how far away things will look even with a 300mm lens. I can't imagine shooting without my monopod...but I doubt they will let you drag that in....unless you make it look like a cane :rolleyes: