1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Girls U18 Premier

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Randy, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I got bored with the U12's and decided to test the monopod and my reflexes with the 400vr. It was a very windy day and quite a challenge to shoot goal to goal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. suhweet! hard to pick a fave, maybe the two girls battling & ref in blue.

3. audu67

audu67

Jan 14, 2008
    Decatur, Alabama
    Randy,

How would you describe your set-up and technique for achieving such great focus in your shots? I really enjoy your posts - especially the detail ( like the pieces of grass suspended in air).

4. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Randy, I also shoot soccer with a D300 (and 200-400 f/4) and would also be interested in your focus settings for a1, a3 and a4 and the focus mode selector on the back of the camera. Thanks.

5. Hi Randy!, I have to be honest and say that I think you where experementing with your set up?.
    #'s 2&4 just don't work for me!. (I see from the post heading you where testing end to end stuff).
    #9 makes her look deformed due to the focal plain!.
    #13 no ball? shame on you Randy:biggrin:.
    #15 is obviously a crop from the other side of the pitch! in which case i am dumb struck:eek: . I will keep up my campagne to get you banned:D epressed LOL.Kind regards Graham

6. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Randy, these shots are amazing. You really have that combo working great for you.

7. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Love #2..Face is tack sharp and love the ball in the air.

The last one is equally amazing to me. Crop , no crop don't care. It will sell
    either way.

Well done. The IQ just has me in awe.

8. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Awesome, I just love the IQ and backgrounds being rendered. I do have a question though - do you straighten them if you sell them ? I find it realy hard to keep horizons level in camera using a monopod so find myself starightening and cropping most shots.

9. Wow, that background is really bizarre, is that the green plastic stuff they lay down with new grass seed? the shots of the challenges work for me especially Nos. 3 and 5

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx chris

thx Donald
    I watch most of the game thru the viewfinder. I am constantly re-composing (1/2 depressing the shutter button) so when it's time to fire, the camera has an easier time acquiring focus. On a goal kick I prefocus on a player i think will get the ball so even if i'm wrong i'm in the ballpark 'focal length wise'....i do the same thing thruout the game....on the d300 if you just shot a full frame player and then try to reach out 400mm the d300 doesn't drive the 400mm fast enough for me (the d3 is noticeably faster) so i try to move the focu point before i fire. Watch the game very closely and you will start to anticipate the action, almost like a 2nd sense.

I just posted thos the other day in one of my threads when someone asked me to compare mine to theirs....i leave almost all settings on default. The key change I make is for AFC priority, I set mine at Focus+ Release (which I think is also a default and was a big clue for me that the D300 had some AF issues)....i use 21pt and dynamic. I try to always set the focus sensor on the kids eyes

LOL & thx Graham....
    I was testing my old arms vs the wind, not how I shoot....I always shoot goal to goal, I used to shoot 420/4 with the 300vr. Balls mean almost nothing to me (no comments pls)...I shoot faces & I must admit I have become obsessed about backgrounds. I am actually not firing alot now when the kid(s) are near the bench. I almost never fire into the fans and will shoot into the sun to avoid them......the funny part is parents don't care about almost anything we care about, they just want a nice sharp expression on their kids face....but we all do this more for ourselves I'm sure

thx Ron...the 400vr changes everything for me and that stick/head combo is simpy awesome...for anyone who spends the money on the 400 and uses it for sports the gitzo & RRS head should be mandatory

thx Rod....yea a 4x6 from a full frame vs a 4x6 froma crop.....when it's on paper no one knows...IMO if you hope to generate decent sales doing this (shooting for spec that is) you gotta be willing to shoot long

thx Darren...embarrasingly the answer is no but I will try to remember to do it on the final PP when I crop for the order (I have a 7 day proof period in smugmgu so I re-PP all pics using NC 4.4, tighten the crops and improve the USM.....the pics posted here were PPed in NC....LR is great for speed and LR2 is way better now that I can see the whole pic on LCD#2)

thx Brooks....i think it is and it sure made for great bokeh....in hindsight I should have shot some f4

11. Super Randy.

Some aggressive lassies...........:rolleyes: ..bad me

mike

12. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.