Girls Varsity Softball... A different Angle

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, May 7, 2007.

1. I shot the local H.S varsity team today they are on a roll and playing real well. In addition to the normal shots I tried a few new things out
    All shots wiht the D2X and the 300 2.8
    I shot these first shots from the outfield fence looking in at the batter and catching the ball after being hit. In a few shots I included the pitcher in the shot. Let me know what you think about this view
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Yep...Like em a lot.....

That would be a shot I want if I had the reach..Good stuff Mike.
    That is also the best angle for the catcher..

3. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    I like them as well however i am not a huge fan of the ones with the pitcher in them but that is just me. Other then that they are awesome.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think your timing is amazing:))
    Great shots

I like the pitcher in the first pitcher shot. The second pitcher shot is a bit distrating to me.

5. Whis really makes me want to go out and shoot a game or 10 :) Great stuff!

6. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I like them alot. I prefer seeing just the batter, ump and catcher though. The backside of a pitcher doesn't add anything, IMO.

7. Hey Mike,

These are great. I love the angles. I think it is truly something different when we break the traditional mold and get outside of the box. All of our shots lately have been looking pretty much the same. They have been great but primarily the same. This is getting creative. It almost looks like you were standing in the outfield. Looks like you had some great light to work with as well. Outstanding work!

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow...I'd love to give that a try, but I don't think my "measly" 4.1 megapixel camera can handle the crop. Wow Mike!

9. ipsofacto

ipsofacto Guest

Its truly difficult to break through and find something creative that works, after all the norm pays the bills. If you can find an exceptionally great "unique" shot(like that money shot of the ball in focus in front of an OOF pitcher that everyone did for a while) you'll probably find it much more rewarding even when you don't find that perfect shot.

10. Mike,
    You were "stretching" it with shooting from the outfield fence, weren't you? Since your exif read 600mm, I'm assuming HSC and cropping. Is that correct? These are great. I love 'em, and the angle is perfect. It is the ideal position for the batters.

Best Wishes,

11. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I like all of them a lot. However, I find the pitcher to be distracting. I much prefer the shots of the batter/catcher and ump. Caught some great facial expressions.
    The ones with pitcher in picture..:smile: , just didn't work for me.

12. Wow, very nice shots Mike.
    I really like the expressions, in particular the "take that" look on #4.

I'll cast another vote on the pitcher being a distraction. If she wasn't quite so OOF it may work better.

Don

13. I am going back and trying it with the 1.4 on the lens

14. Thanks for the comments going back and looking at them I have to agree the pitcher is a bit of a distractio

15. Thanks Gale I appreciate your thoughts

16. Thanks go ahead walk up to your little league field and shot some games

17. Thanks Joshua I agree

18. Ty thanks I was standing at the centerfield fence and shooting in today I will through the 1.4 or even the 2.0 on and give it a try

19. Frank the 300 with the 1.4 will handle it and you will be suprised at how cropable the D2H fils are if you are not printing larger than 8X10

20. Yes you were dead on 300 with the 1.4 today I am going to try the 1.4 or even 2.0 on to get closer