Girls volleyball with new D2X

Discussion in 'People' started by Mitchell, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Just took my new D2X out of the box yesterday and my daughter asked if I would take some pics at her volleyball game. This is a bad combination! Complicated new camera with multiple focusing options, the worst indoor gymnasium lighting I have ever seen, and 10 year old girls who are just learning how to play volleyball. Needless to say, I didn't get very many keepers. Just got a lot of stares at this monster of a camera held by some guy who didn't look like he knew what he was doing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brew

Brew Guest

Mitch yours turned out much better than mine. I seem to do better with basketball because at least you can get the action coming at you. It seems with volleyball I get the backs of the front line while they're spiking or blocking. I'm about to give it up and the lighting is a big problem too.

3. Brew

Brew Guest

Mitch can you post what settings and lens you are using?

4. Bruce,
    Thanks for looking. It's not fair to compare our photos. Your gym actually had lights!! :biggrin:

I shot these with the D2X on auto white balance, High2 ISO, f2.8, 1/125.
    I used my fastest lens, the beast, 28-80mm, 2.8.

I suspect we will both need a faster prime lens if we hope to get better quality volleyball shots with our lighting problems. Perhaps the 85mm, f1.8D.

mitch

5. Brew

Brew Guest

lol, no lights hey, could have fooled me. :biggrin:

Problem is I was using my fastest lens (85-1.4)!! Had to use a higher ISO which I don't think the D70 excels at. For the most part I had it on A priority set at 1.4 and the shutter speed would end up between 250 and 500.