Gitzo 1321 leveling head questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I often shoot in situations where the footing for my Gitzo 1325 is very unlevel (very large boulders on a 30 degree slope). As I move the tripod from spot to spot, it takes a painful process of adjusting each of the tripod legs to get the top plate level (so I can pan and shoot flying birdies), and I'm always afraid that I'll miss some good action during this process.

So, to make a short story long, I just ordered a Gitzo 1321 leveling base. I know that several of our members have this assembly, and I was wondering how this whole deal works. Does the lever that sticks out of the 1321 do the adjusting, or is it just a locking device? Do you loosen the lever and swivel the head and then re-lock it? How much adjustment is available? +/- How many degrees?

How well and how quickly does this unit work?

Thanks!!

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand most of what you have described, but still don't fully understand the function of the lever that sticks out the side versus the center column. I take it from your comments that there is an adjustment at the bottom of the column that can tighten or loosen the the leveling assembly, right? If so, what is the lever that sticks out of the side for??

Thanks!!

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. another solution is the rss 55 head with the extra pano head on it.
    I ordered it a few weeks ago. Works great.
    One advance is that when i want the tripod placed completely flat i can do so.
    This can not be done with the gitzo leveler.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Alex,

Who makes the RSS 55?

Thanks,

Paul (and all),

I think that I understand now. I'll just have to try it for myself I guess, but your explanations have more or less sunk in. I do have one more question. If the lever that sticks out the side loosens the mounting of the ball head, can it be used to break down the ball head (or big Wimberley) for transportation?

7. Paul, quick question

I too have the 1325 with no center column, to use this base do I loosed the nut and take the base out of there now and replace it with the leveling head, I am going to order one and just want to make sure it is compatible with my tripod

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

That's how I understand that it works. See the link that Paul posted for a lot more info.

9. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Hi Paul,

Does the gitzo tripod hook screw into the bottom of the G-1321 as it would into a center post?

10. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California

Frank,

Yes. Think of the lever on the side of the 1321 as a built in wrench. If you move it clockwise (looking at it from the top) you will loosen the head, if you move it counterclockwise you will tighten the head.

To install your head: 1) Tighten the pan lock knob on the head, 2) With the side lever full CW screw the head onto the 1321 (finger tight will do), 3) Lock the head down by moving the side lever CCW. Do more or less the opposite to loosen it.

Once the head is in place you can adjust for level as often as you want without moving the side lever.

11. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    JB,

No. The bottom knob or post has a rubber cover that can't be removed. There are no threads for a hook.

Gene A.

12. Paul...I like your tripod head...Which model is that?

Thanks,

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gene. That's what I was hoping to hear.

Welcome to the Cafe BTW. :wink:

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Alex,

When I called RRS yesterday, I originally told them that I wanted to get the BH-55. They actually talked me out of it, saying that for use with my big Wimberley, they would recommend the 1321. I spoke to Charles, who many have spoken highly of. Any time someone recommends a $160 third-party piece of gear over their own $450 item, you sort of have to trust them. :smile:

I still want to own a BH-55. Maybe as a Christmas present. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

15. Breedoni

Breedoni

Jan 27, 2005
    Frank,
    happy Belated B'day. I already sent your present.

Anyway, Really Right Stuff(RRS) makes great 'stuff'. I have the leveling head and it does OK but you want get big angle adjustments with it. But in combination withj a ball head you can get 'level' on a down slope into a gator hole or the slippery slope to hell that I've been getting close to lately (at least according to my wife). BTW the RRS 55 means it'll support 55lbs.

16. Breedoni

Breedoni

Jan 27, 2005
    Whoopie! I've got 12 posts---means I can sell something, right?

17. not so fast Breedoni, I think you need 25

18. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Frank,
    My Gitzo leveling head DID come with minimum instructions and the black "lever" sticking out the side is used thusly: screw on whichever ball head you wish to use to such a degree that you can still remove it rather easily, then tighten up the side lever to really lock the ball head in place. This makes it easy to add or remove the ball head at will. The black lever serves NO OTHER FUNCTION. Indeed, if you look closely through the slit from which the black lever protrudes, you will see that the lever attaches ONLY to the screw to which the ball head attaches. There is absolutely no direct connection between the lever and the handle that loosens and tightens the leveling head.