Gitzo Aluminum Tripods

Hey all,

I found a few Aluminum Gitzos at a camera shop not too far away. They look pretty heavy duty and Gitzo is one of the top brands. This is what it will be used for primarily:

Topcon Horseman VH-R + Rotary back. I estimate this to be about 8 lbs ish.

Anyone use the aluminum Gitzos? Sorry i have no model numbers, I have not been in the buying mood at all, so i didnt think to jot it down

Daniel

I've had a number of aluminum gitzos. Check the rivets that hold the top of the legs. Make sure there isn't any slop. Lower legs can also get bent, making it difficult to extend/ fold. Otherwise, they are very good tripods. I have some that are over 20 years old and still in fine working order.

Hey all,

I found a few Aluminum Gitzos at a camera shop not too far away. They look pretty heavy duty and Gitzo is one of the top brands. This is what it will be used for primarily:

Topcon Horseman VH-R + Rotary back. I estimate this to be about 8 lbs ish.

Anyone use the aluminum Gitzos? Sorry i have no model numbers, I have not been in the buying mood at all, so i didnt think to jot it down

Daniel

Daniel,

I listened to Thom and bought once.

I just recently bought a Gitzo 1410 with the Kirk BH-1 head and Kirk L-plate for a gripped D300. I paid about $400 for the legs. My requirement was support for a gripped D300 and 300 f/2.8.

It's heavy, I'm still learning but it works for me. I've used it several times shooting with my D300 a baseball game (300 f/4), time lapsed photography (24-70 f/2.8), birding (300 f/4 with 1.7 TC), sunrise shots (24-70 f/2.8) and moon (300 f/4 with 1.7 TC) at the beach in high wind and indoor portrait shots.

I won't be climbing mountains with my support but I have an old baby jogger that I can use for trails to haul it along.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.

I will definately keep it in mind. It seems pretty sturdy. I just cant afford 400 bucks right now. But now that i know they are still around, i will definately keep watching. Recently all i see is the CF ones, and those are like 1000+ which is a no no. I can buy a car for less than that... better to skip the 1k tripod at the moment.

Thanks all

Daniel

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom