Gitzo Basalt tripods - opinions???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cknight, Jul 23, 2005.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Does anyone have any opinions on/experiences with the Gitzo basalt tripods? I'm looking at the G1297? I'm also considering one of the equivalent CF Gitzo tripods or one of the Feisols.
    The largest lens I will be using (anytime soon anyway) is the 300 F4, probably on a Wimberly sidekick.

Thanks

2. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    From what I have read, basalt hype is just a marketing ploy for fiberglass. Beyond that I havent heard much of gitzo's latest offering.

Regards

RFC

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    If you would like to try the fiesol. I have it setup with a ball head and QR clamp for a sidekick.

Just let me know.

4. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks Patrick. But I ordered one of the Feisol's this weekend, along with a Markins ballhead and Sidekick. Hopefully I'll be set 'support' wise.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

Excellent choices all the way around. Which Markins did you get?

We need to get down to the pond (or even better, over to Guntersville) sometime after you get them and do some shooting.

6. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Frank,
    I also have a 300 F4/SB800 coming. I imagine that sometime within the next couple of weeks I'll be wanting to go play with the new toys.

Oh yeah, I got the Markins M10.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You got all the right stuff. Guess that's the advantage of visiting a board like the Cafe, Nikonians, or DPR. You can see what is getting the best results, and make wise choices on your own gear purchases. Now all you need is a 1.4 TC and a Better Beamer. :)

Let's go over to Guntersville this weekend and give it all a good workout. 8)

8. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Oh yeah, I got those too :D :twisted:

Most of the stuff has been shipped.I'm expecting it to get here by the end of the week, but you never know.

Now if only B&H would get the 70-200VR in stock.

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    What do you mean you never know? Don't you check the tracking info every few hours to watch the packages' progress to your doorstep? :)

10. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Oh shutup. I have the tracking pages bookmarked. :wink: Its hard to get work done when just have to know if your package has moved. Must be disciplined!!
    My lens/flash/tc have left NY.
    My ballhead is stuck in KY waiting to clear customs.
    My tripod is somewhere between CA and here.

Its just that sometimes my packages decide they really like the stay in Atlanta, or want to take the scenic route and go through Oklahoma. :evil:

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I've noticed UPS is not nearly as consistent about being on time compared to FedEx, it can be really frustrating especially if you pay extra for service faster than standard ground. I had one package from B&H get all the way to the Houston warehouse on time and even show as "out for delivery", but it never came. No status updates, nothing. After several days I finally had B&H put a tracer on the package and UPS admitted they had lost it. Fortunately is was just a photo vest, umbrella clamp and lens pen; if it had been a lens I would have been bouncing off the walls. But I'm sure nothing like that will happen to you. ;)

12. skoor

skoor Guest

I looked at basalt 1298 before getting the CF 1258. I was not impressed. Seems to be too much of a compromise - shorter height, did not operate smoothly and legs not near as stable at CF. It was more like a Bogen or classic Gitzo, IMHO. I would suggest just going all the way to CF, if you can. It is just too much of a half way approach - not really cheap nor as stable as CF. Its only prior advantage was the ALR, but the new 6X CF has it now.

13. I bought a basalt weekender Gitzo a while back as a tiny extra tripod.

Frankly, I don't see any difference between "basalt" and carbon fiber. They are very similar materials. Same goes for wound epoxy tubing, which I have used to fabricate a few things (not photography related).

They are all fibers embedded in epoxy, urethane, etc. They seem to vary in strength more than properties I would imagine matter for a tripod.