Gitzo GT2530

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Odonata, May 18, 2007.

1. After weeks of agonizing over what to replace my faithful Bogen tripod, I finally settled on the Gitzo GT2530. All I can say is I love it! I won't go into the details that others have reported, but I did want to point out one thing. I wanted a tripod I could take everywhere, including a carry on bag when flying. While it would be nice to have 2 Gitzos, there is no way I could justify the cost. While your mileage may vary, the GT2530 fits diagonally in my legal sized carry on bag after removing the center post and the rubber feet. Thought this would be useful info for those who fly a lot and considering the GT2530. BTW, my carry on bag measures 22x14x9.

-Eugene

2. HHARRIS

HHARRIS

May 1, 2007
    So Cal
    Are you using your RRS BH55 on it?

HHARRIS
    :)

3. Most definitely! My new D200 completes the whole package.

-Eugene

4. HHARRIS

HHARRIS

May 1, 2007
    So Cal
    NIce!! Thats what I use on my 2540. Both a great setup!

HHARRIS

5. Check the tightness of the screw-in rubber feet on your GT2530. I just got my new 2530 and took it out shooting yesterday. At one point I found one of the feet was way loose and was on the verge of falling out. When I got home I removed all three feet and put a drop of Loctite 242 on the threads and screwed them back in. I also used a drop of 242 on the threads that mount my Markins M10 to the tripod.

6. Thanks for the tip on the feet. I checked the feet and applied loctite shortly after removing it from the box. I learned long ago that certain things have a funny way of getting loose...

-Eugene

7. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks for the Loctite tip. Just used the Blue on the feet. You guys were referring to the blue and not red in regards to the Loctite? A little afraid to put it on the head.

8. I would certainly not used the red here.

9. Yes. Loctite 242 is blue. The red stuff is way too powerful for this application, usually requiring heat over 300F to break the bond. I just use ONE DROP of 242 for this... you don't need much.

10. Yup, blue here too. The same stuff I use on my bike and related accessories.

-Eugene

11. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    How does the RRS D55 fit on the 2530 platform? Any overhang? Do you have a photo of how it looks on the tripod?

Thanks
    Mike

12. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Mike,

It over hangs the base by about 1/8". I had this same question about 2 months ago. I have a picture somewhere. I will try to find it.

Found it.
    [​IMG]

If you remove the center post, no problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  13. Yeah, I did see it on special and came debated the 3530 and the 2530. But in the end, the 2530 had a 2" height advantage, is 1.5 lbs lighter and slightly shorter when folded. The lower weight was the big one for me while the load capacity was moot since I don't have and not expecting any big glass in the near future.

For those who don't know, the 3530 is a May special at B&H and priced similarily to the 2530. Oh, the 2530 does include a tripod case that is lightly padded. A surprsingly decent freebie.

-Eugene

14. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    I would like to try the BH55 but it seems like it's kind of makes the 2540 a little top heavy? I am really torn between it and the Markins 10.

15. HHARRIS

HHARRIS

May 1, 2007
    So Cal
    I like my BH55 on my 2540. Does not seem top heavy to me. the set up is sweet!

HHARRIS

16. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    I had the same concern as Mike, but it's great to know you guys aren't having any trouble with it. I'll probably upgrade my Feisol to this setup someday...

Brian

17. I too do not think it top heavy or have not come across any issues. I will note that when carrying the tripod/ballhead, the weight of the ballhead is obvious. I need to adjust the shoulder straps so that the ballhead is on the bottom or find a suitable way to carry the tripod.

-Eugene