gitzo systematic ball head

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by pinhead, Aug 9, 2008.

1. one of the reasons I got a systematic tripod was because I found out about this upcoming product.

http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoTripods/238742/gitzo-centre-ball-head-systemic-series-35-qr.aspx

it seems to be available now but elusive and hard to find, even on the internet. I cant find any reviews, or any US dealers with stock. BH is the only place I have found that even lists it and its special order.

has anyone seen one of these? touched one? know where one exists? Know if it will become more common at some point?

It looks fabulous on paper. installed on the tripod, the ball will be very close to the vertex of the legs since it really sits into the systematic hub. combined with the hydraulic lock and nearly symmetrical design, it should be really easy to use as well, with not need to spin the head to orient the knobs. I have read contradicting info on whether the QR version is arca compatible.

just trying to get a feel for this thing.

2. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Vistek

Hi Joe,

Vistek is an interesting company, I have had happy dealings with them in the past. Is Vistek testing/introducing this product from Gitzo?

I can't find this product on the Gitzo site?

Did you find anything?

3. One thing the ad doesn't mention is the type of Quick Release. Gitzo has a proprietory QR that doesn't accept Acro-Swiss type camera brachets. Funnily enough, they do sell a separate QR that will mount on their ball. They refer to it as "dovetail" rather than Acro-Swiss.

Bruce

4. its on gitzo's site, but only in the PDF catalog for download. I saw the print catalog at a gitzo distribution center when I got my old tripod serviced. I was told it wasn't available yet at the time.

Gitzo does have their own QR shapes but in the past, they made a clamp that looked a lot like a kirk clamp but it had a really long thread travel and had two angles cut into the clamp so it could take either their own plates or the arca style. they also have an adapter block which pads the jaws and converts them in a way. I read somewhere that this head would be arca compatible but I am not sure which method it will use. I suspect that it is the second method which is a downer.

BH lists the non QR version, but its special order so i can't just go take a look.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568703-REG/Gitzo_GH5380S_GH5380S_Systematic_Ball_Head.html
    the platform is pretty big and the control for the locking mechanism is right under it so I'm not sure if a kirk clamp can be fitted in an elegant fashion.

5. Gitzo calls it a quick release dovetail platform. I use the G1387B in their catalogue. They also have a GS5360AS - SER.1-5 ARCA QR ADAPTER A-B but I'm not sure what the difference is.

I originally bought the G1378M - Quick release center ball head with the magnesium ball and proprietory quick release plate. It worked well but wouldn't take the Arca plate compatible Kirk L-bracket and Kirk bracket for my 300mm f1/4.

It was a bit of a hassle getting the old quick release platform off but it was very easy getting the dovetail one on in its place. Works well with both Kirk pieces.

Bruce