Gitzo tripod legs are too tight - now solved

Actually, only one of the three is very difficult to rotate outward at the base. It would appear that I need to loosen the bolt that holds the leg to the base, but I don't know what type of tool to use...

_Z505456.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Use a lightweight machine oil- more as a cleaner than as a lubricant. Just a drop or two on a rag, use it to clean up the threads and the other parts/washers. Then essentially wipe it all off, If you leave it on it attracts dirt- as the dirt sticks to the oil. Just wipe it all the way off- and it is just right.
gary

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Jim, before loosening the screw give a splash of WD40 (creep oil) to the screw head and let it work for one or two days.
You've got a kind of contact corrosion - steel screw and aluminum tripod part can give a deadly combination to the thread. The aluminum part will gain volume by this process.
Got the same problem at the front axle of my car - we had destroyed the part.

Good luck
Klaus

I sent a note to Gitzo over the weekend, and got this reply:

Thank you for contacting us. our technical representative advised that you should NOT lubricate it only clean it. Additionally, you need to use two torx T25 screwdrivers applying equal pressure on both side when taking it apart and putting it back together.

I'm going to the hardware store to look for T25 screwdrivers today.

What do they want you to clean it with?

They don't say. My plan is to inspect it for debris and wipe with a soft cloth or paper towel. I'm guessing that the metal is impregnated with some sort of permanent lubricant.

I didn't get to the store today for the Torx screwdrivers but I will tomorrow.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom