Gitzo vs Feisol

I use, among other things, a Gitzo 1348 and a Feisol monopod. The Gitzo cost over $700, the Feisol a little over $60.

Now, I find I can operate the various joints on the Feisol with a single hand. Very smooth and turning a given joint frees just that one.

On the Gitzo, I find I have to either use two hands, or overtighten the joint above the lower two in order to loosen them. Also, not nearly as smooth.

Am I missing something? Or should I be ordering a Feisol tripod too? Or use a bit of lubricant?

fks

hi beezle-

i don't have a gitzo, but i have a manfrotto whose legs stick a bit. i have to give them a tug sometimes to get them to slide out.

but if the feisol works for you, then go for it. you pay more for gitzo because of the build quality, strength and solidity of the tripod. if it the sticky legs are an inconvenience and slow you down, that'll keep on irrititating you. better to go for a feisol or some other brand.

ricky

Beezle said:
I use, among other things, a Gitzo 1348 and a Feisol monopod. The Gitzo cost over $700, the Feisol a little over $60.

Now, I find I can operate the various joints on the Feisol with a single hand. Very smooth and turning a given joint frees just that one.

On the Gitzo, I find I have to either use two hands, or overtighten the joint above the lower two in order to loosen them. Also, not nearly as smooth.

Am I missing something? Or should I be ordering a Feisol tripod too? Or use a bit of lubricant?

Beezle one word, always keep your tripod clean, I guess a little bit of silicone spray would not hurt and wipe it after that.

Good advice, but I think so far people are misunderstanding what I am talking about. Clean legs won't make a difference here.

So the 1348 is a four section tripod, thus has three joints where one turns a rubber covered collar to loosen that section.

The problem is that it is difficult to loosen the lower two collars without the adjacent higher collar loosening instead. For whatever reason, the Feisol collars do not behave this way.

I have had a look at the design and they are similar, though the Feisol uses larger shims.

Anyway, I was hoping to hear how other folks deal with this more than anything. Seems to me it must just be a matter of finding the right about of tension on those collars.

Beezle
My 1325 is the same way - Agrivating , I have a Feisol Monopod And agree with you there too. The sections unlock very easy.

I have no expierence with Feisol tripods though, but if thtey are anything like thier monopods , I think you would be very happy.

From what you describe I think the Gitzo would annoy me. I too have the Feisol monopod and like it quite a bit, however I like the lever-lock legs on my Velbon El Carmagne 630 CF tripod even better.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Beezle
I have two Gitzos including the 1348 and I too was annoyed until somebody smarter than me showed me a better way to tighten/loosen the sections. He showed me that if you start by lowering the lowest leg section first that you often use less motion, and that if you tighten the collars with two fingers firmly they are much easier to release smoothly. It took me a bit of practice and patience but i can raise and lower both of mine with ease and speed now. It is pretty hard to beat the functionality of Gitzo.

Latest threads

Top Bottom