" Give me some exercises to do " !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Desmond, Jul 6, 2008.

1. I read that statement in a thread about someone who was going to shoot his first wedding and it got me thinking . There are so many variables involved in something like a wedding , even though it's not advisable to do one without experience it happens even if it is just as a second shooter .
    SO : What "exercises" would you give someone who wanted to prepare for something like wedding photography ?
    In my limited experience I would suggest the following :[ using a person or 'mannequin']
    1.) Place the model in bright sunlight , shoot with the sun coming from the side , then the front and then the rear , compare the results of matrix metering and centre weighted metering [ especially with the D80s metering ] .
    make exposure compensation where needed not to blow highlights and then add flash and make negative compensation on the flash until you have a good picture that is not 'over flashed ' . Try it again in manual mode .
    Try adjusting to underexpose the background by 1 stop and adjust flash to make the subject stand out .
    2.) Place the model in a dark setting with side lighting coming in through a window or the door of a barn and do the same again , mainly without flash , but also see how/if you can enhance the picture with a small amount of flash .
    3.) Set the model up in front of a bright window /backlighting . Set the camera manually to expose for the outside and then use bounce flash to light the subject . take the same picture again without flash , expose for the subject , and intentionally blow the highlights in the background and compare the effects .
    4.) At night try again indoors , set manually iso 400 , F5.6 1/30th sec and see if the ambient lighting is captured without looking too bright , adjust speed accordingly [or iso ] to make the ambient look natural .
    Add the flash bounced of the ceiling/walls , try setting the flash back to -1
    so it doesn't show so much .
    5.) Try again in "P" mode , set to -2 [ which will bring back the flash to -2 ] and set flash to +1 [ making it effectively -1] and see if the results do the same for you as '4.)' .

These are scenarios I would suggest , things that I have played around with to try and better my skills . I may be on the wrong track or giving the wrong advice and welcome correction .
    To those who have better experience and knowledge what "exercises" would you suggest for someone to hone their skills for future challenges ? please share your knowledge and suggestions .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.