Give Me Your Insight On This Monopod Config

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by NostalgicDad, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Alright, I'm trying to decide on a decent monopod setup. At this point, I've decided to top it with the RRS B2-Pro QR Clamp. I'm not real experienced in using a monopod but with the type of shooting I do (swim meets, volleyball, football), I'm not quite sure if I will need a head or not. If I decide that I do then I plan on using the Manfrotto 234 (3232) as I don't need to deal with a ball head on a monopod although I love it on my tripod. The main lens I will be using on my D300/MB-D10 is the 70-200VR. For the 70-200VR, I'm torn between getting the RRS L10 lens plate or just getting the LCF-10 replacement foot.

As far as which monopod, I've narrowed it down to either the Gitzo GM2541 or the Feisol 1471.

So, the questions needing your assistance are as follows......

1) Gitzo GM2541 or Feisol 1471?
    2) RRS L10 or RRS LCF-10? Which is really necessary?
    3) Any experience in using the RRS B2-Pro clamp with the Manfrotto 234?
    4) Best place to purchase RRS gear?

:biggrin:

2. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I got the L10 due to cost. I don't use the 70-200 on a pod or tripod all that much. As for getting RRS, they can only be gotten through the RRS website or if you find someone that has what you want and they want to share it. I also use the Lever clamp on the MH-01 that RRS sells.

3. Thanks for the responses thus far. The LCF-10 replacement foot does seem a bit pricey. I'll still have basically the same functionality with just the L-10 plate, just added weight and height I suppose.

I've emailed and received a response from Orion with Feisol so I definitely feel comfortable going with the 1471 from a customer service standpoint. At this point, I'm leaning in that direction over the Gitzo.

I still hope to get an opinion from someone who's used the Manfrotto 234 with the RRS B2-Pro clamp.

Thanks again!

4. Danny,

I use the Manfrotto 3232 with the B2 clamp (although recently updated it to the quick lever release since I somehow ended up with a spare one). It works great and it sits on a GitzoG1564 (an older model mono pod). Used it easily with up to the 70-200. Not a complaint. Have also used it a bit with the 200-400....again no issues....

5. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    I use an old Gitzo G1568, Manfrotto 234 and RRS B2-Pro combo. Works great! Although I don't think that CF on a monpod is absolutely necessary...

I use it usually with a D200+grip, 300/4 AFS and optional TC14-E, btw.

6. joe_boyd

joe_boyd

Aug 10, 2006
    I put more gear on my monopod, but if you're upper limit (mass-wise) is a 70-200/2.8, MB-10 and D300, the 234/3232 head will do just fine. I shoot bigger lenses (400/2.8) on a monopod, so I just use a clamp. I haven't found a small swivel head that can handle lenses, body, and flash setups I use (400/2.8, D700, MB-10, SB-800).

I haven't gone to the latest monopods, but I've found the Gitzo 1588 and Manfrotto 681 to be very good. These are the largest capacity 'pods in their respective lines, that may be a tad overkill for a 70-200/2.8, MB-10 and D300. For their prices, I don't think you can beat Manfrotto 'pods.

I use an LCF-10 on my 70-200 and prefer the integrated foot and plate. But, I think you'd be hard-pressed to recognize a significant difference in the stability of the LCF-10 vs. the Nikon foot and RRS plate. The LCF-10 is lower profile than the Nikon foot & RRS plate, but the profile may only have a bearing on which RRS flash arms can be used with the 70-200.

The most complete place to buy RRS gear is RRS (www.reallyrightstuff.com). RRS only sells "factory-direct", so anything you buy elsewhere has been used to one degree or another. The good thing about RRS gear, or Kirk for that matter, is that it's mechanically simple stuff that will hold up well. It's pretty hard to "break" a lens plate. Friction locks will wear over time, but they hold up pretty well because they're well-designed and constructed. You can certainly find good deals on RRS gear in the various "for sale" forums, but if you need something right away, in absolutely new condition, RRS or Kirk is the only place to get it.

7. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I have an older Gitzo 1578L Mk2 Mountaineer Carbon Fiber Monopod. I used to use the Bogen/Manfretto 3232 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head, but when RRS came out with their new MH-01 RRSĀ® Hi-Capacity Monopod Head I had to have it. S W E E E E T!

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=MH-01&eq=&Tp=

I got the version that is topped with the RRS Lever-Clamp. I have Kirk replacement feet for both my 70-200 and 200-400 lenses.

I love this setup.

-- Russ

8. audu67

audu67

Jan 14, 2008
    Decatur, Alabama
    Danny,

Recently I decided to get a monopod to use with my new 200-400vr. After a lot of reading I settled on the Gitzo 3551 and a RRS MH-01/B2 Pro II Clamp. I also purchased a RRS Lens foot for the 200-400vr. My reasoning was that I only wanted to by this stuff once and to get the best I could afford. I don't believe you can purchase RRS from any other source.

I've been very happy with the choices. I may could have gotten by without the MH-01 but it sure makes vertical movement a lot easier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.