Give us your ideas for making nikoncafe a great site!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    We are looking for suggestions for forums, moderation, or anything that you can think of to make this a site that we can all enjoy, away from the flame wars and 'too many birdie pics' threads.

Give us your ideas and feedback. This forum is for us!! :D

2. How's this..

Well, different interest forums, like birding, wildlife, landscape, scenic, portrait. Now some of these can be combined if traffic is low to start. Also a gear forum for measurebators, nothing wrong with that if thats what you're into.

What do you think? :p

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Exactly, Harris....

Thats what we were thinking. I like the Gear Head forum idea :idea:

What about a forum for photography techniques?

Thanks,

Frank

4. The forums are all good ideas as long as it doesnt thin out the members so much that there isnt any interaction.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good point....

And with a total of 11 members right now, maybe we should keep it lean and mean for a while. :?

Thanks Harris.

Frank

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Good point....

Post Processing techniques

Showing others how..

(like me)

Cheers
    Gale

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Post Processing techniques

Showing others how..

(like me)

Cheers
    Gale

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl

Forgot to long in.

Had to refresh my screen for some reason :<( Sorry for the double post.
    Gale

9. I would like to see a Critique forum, where people will actually participate. I belong to a regional forum and, like on DPReview there is far too much "OOHHH, Nice Stuff M(r)(rs)(iss) SO-and-SO, from exactly the same folks to the same folks in any thread they post. I can tell you that when I ask for critique I want critique, and one of the best I got in a while was from Yves, and I believe it went something like "PeeeeUehhheuuuu", or words and gestures to that effect. And what it did was sent me off on a learning trip that was quite productive, thanks Yves, oops Boobie-Joe.

Now the problem with this is that it requires some discipline in that we all need to be polite but firm as well as willing to go outside our own normal "comfort zone" of subject matter, but I sure learn a lot from being on both sides of that fence.

I also think that someone(s) need to decide on how the membership grows. I can think of a number of other Nikon folks that would be an asset to this forum and I can think of a much larger number that, well, to be polite wouldn't be.

I'm sure I'll have other ideas over time, and I'll pop them off as they come up. Oh, wait, I just thought of another one. I would REALLY like to see an archive of some of the better things that have shown up on DPreview of late. For example the information from Yves on his post-process technique and the PS Actions and JavaScript started by Regit, modified by Sander, Federico and even me. That is good stuff that I don't want to lose, and DPreview makes it an incredible pain to keep track of.

Well, that should keep Patrick and Frank busy for a month or three. You guys didn't want to do any photography related stuff for a while did you? It is winter after all.....

10. Bill,

I really like this idea. We certainly have enough talent just in the folks that are already here for this kind of thing (not to mention any future members). It's also true that the folks around here are some of the nicest forum members I've ever been around.

If pressed, though, I'm sure we would all agree that we would prefer to get honest feedback. By the same token, "civility" makes us reluctant to give it at times. If we had a section where any follow-up postings were required to have an element of "what would make this a better picture", I bet we could make it work. I know that I'm sometimes reluctant to criticize pitures that I see issues with because I respect the photographer's general ability and feel like I couldn't do any better. But most of us know what we like and don't like, even if we didn't (or couldn't) create it...

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I have to agree totally....

There is a fine line between 'Ooooh, your shot is great', and 'Your shot sux' sometimes. If we really want to improve though, and not just have our ego stroked (guilty as charged your honor), we need to be willing to submit to true criticism, even if it hurts sometimes.

A true critique forum should only apply to those with thick skins, that ask for it. :twisted: OTOH, I for one would rather have my friends say that your pic is OK, but would be better if you did this differently....as long as we really did get honest feedback.

I think that this would be a great addition to Nikoncafe. I'll discuss with Patrick tomorrow.

Regards,

Frank

12. On the Critique suggestion....

I totally agree with both of you, and sometimes my ego does get a touch bruised. When Yves left the comment I mentioned, at first I was rather annoyed. Then I looked at what he said, looked at the image, and said to myself, "Yup, that darned Canadian nailed it again!". I don't even mind a comment to the effect that something doesn't "quite work" or "isn't liked" without a specific "how to fix" because I think that in itself will engender discussion, which really helps.

I really don't think we will ahve any issues with "civility" here, this is a great bunch of folks that have been gathered.

Oh, a bit of "ego stroking" is good for the soul as well, we just don't want to give it all to Ron and Yves :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , save some for us mere mortals, at least one every decade or so.

13. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I like the idea. I am a novice and need all the help I can get. We are all friends here and I wouldn't get my feelings hurt if I asked everyone their opinion and got it. I would expect an honest answer.

14. Is there any interest in places to shoot nature photos?

Nan & I do a lot of traveling, often to unusual places. Many of them have nature photo opportunities. For us the travel came first and the photography second. In any case what I am thinking of is a forum area where all could post information and a few images on places we have been that others might want to visit. Details might be done off-forum, but at least you would know who is a resource for an area.

Maybe divided in to North America and rest of world and / or nature and landscape.

Antarctica would be nature

Coast of Norway would be landscape

Yellowstone and Teton's would be both

Any interest?
    Bob

15. I, for one, say GREAT INTEREST. I may not get to all of those places, but certainly want to learn and see more. I am constantly amazed at the "new" places I find around my own home, such as the reserve with the Swans, and I think passing that info along is a very good thing to do.

Super idea.

16. Hey, Patrick & Flew...

I think something's gone bad with the email links and private messaging.

I've tried to respond to a PM from Patrick, but the message doesn't show up in my "sent" folder, just my "outbox" folder. And when I try to use the email link to send it, I get this error message:

The resource cannot be found.
    Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

17. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    PM sentbox and Outbox

UF,

I think that it will only show up in your sent box once its delivered. As for the email error. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Were you trying to use the email link in my profile?

Thanks,