Giving my E-M5 some love

I know that some of you responded to my recent request on info about updating my E-M5. After weeks of research, countless YouTube Videos, hours spent looking through Lightroom at my shooting patterns and camera usage, I came to the conclusion to just keep my current gear and enjoy it. I'm sure that there are things about the E-M1 mk ii that make it a much better camera, but I don't think that the image quality is that much improved over my aging E-M5 and the $1600 price tag is quite steep. My E-M5 is working perfectly, so what's not to like about that!! For now, I'm going to hang tight and see what mirrorless options Nikon comes up with in the months ahead. I tried out a Sony a6000 and a6500. I also tried out a Nikon D5600. With both of those systems I felt that my nice primes and my E-M5 would give me as good of results as kit lenses with those cropped frame sized sensors. I really don't want to buy into a whole new kit unless it is a full frame mirrorless. So, that is my decision.....wise or not.....I feel good about it.

PS.....here is are a couple of photos of my little angel with the E-M5 and the 12-40 f2.8 pro. She was getting pretty frustrated at the speed at which her older brother was getting the goat food out of the dispenser. She is only barely two, but I could just imagine her saying....hurry up, Jade!! My friends are starving!!

I still love the portability of this tiny powerhouse of a camera!! Perfect for outings with the kiddos!!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A great capture in the 1st one, showing some definite attitude now, and surely in the future, too. :)

After weeks of research, countless YouTube Videos, hours spent looking through Lightroom at my shooting patterns and camera usage, I came to the conclusion to just keep my current gear and enjoy it.
There are few things that are quite so satisfying as a well-informed decision. Brava!

Cute photos! Surely you gave the model a bonus (and I'm not talkin' about the goats!).

There are few things that are quite so satisfying as a well-informed decision. Brava!

Cute photos! Surely you gave the model a bonus (and I'm not talkin' about the goats!).
Thank you, Mike!! I try to not make emotional decisions, but think things through carefully. I hate buyers remorse!! The model got to go out to lunch with me!!

Nice shots Terri, that first one with hands on hips is great.
Thanks, Rick. I liked that one best, too!!

Real Name
Aaron
Of all the cameras I have owned and sold to “upgrade” I miss the EM5 the most. It was the only camera I have used that truly felt natural and just stayed out of the way while taking photos. Other cameras in the m4/3 system never achieved the same feel as the EM5, even with their new features and advancements. I would even say the EM5 II lost some of the magic of the original EM5. My D750, while it is certainly capable of better image quality, always seems to require more effort to extract the best from it - not that there is anything wrong with that, having to work harder has probably made me a better photographer...

Love your shots....what an adorable little girl. Wise choice to keep your current gear.
Thank you!! She is a fun little child. I took the kids to McDonalds yesterday. When I got home and cleaned out my purse, I found that she had gifted me a ketchup packet, a French fry, and a piece of hamburger bun. All day she kept trying to give me things!! I guess it’s how she shows her love!!

Of all the cameras I have owned and sold to “upgrade” I miss the EM5 the most. It was the only camera I have used that truly felt natural and just stayed out of the way while taking photos. Other cameras in the m4/3 system never achieved the same feel as the EM5, even with their new features and advancements. I would even say the EM5 II lost some of the magic of the original EM5. My D750, while it is certainly capable of better image quality, always seems to require more effort to extract the best from it - not that there is anything wrong with that, having to work harder has probably made me a better photographer...
I agree that full frame shooting takes a lot more work. I am not the most steady shooter and it takes great concentration to make sure I get shots in focus. It’s much easier with the m4/3. But, of course, there are trade offs. But I still like my E-M5. Your comment makes me glad I decided not to upgrade....yet!! What other m4/3 bodies did you try besides the E-M5 II?

Real Name
Aaron
What other m4/3 bodies did you try besides the E-M5 II?
I have shot with the Olympus PM1, PM2, EM5, EM5 II, EM1, Panasonic GH2, GH3, G5, G6, and GX8. The GX8 was the last m4/3 camera I owned; it had the best image quality (and EVF!) of all the m4/3 bodies I’ve used, but also had some of the worst ergonomics...

I have shot with the Olympus PM1, PM2, EM5, EM5 II, EM1, Panasonic GH2, GH3, G5, G6, and GX8. The GX8 was the last m4/3 camera I owned; it had the best image quality (and EVF!) of all the m4/3 bodies I’ve used, but also had some of the worst ergonomics...
Well it sounds like you've tried a lot!! Do you still own m4/3 gear?

Real Name
Aaron
For a number of years I churned through gear at an alarming rate (let’s not even get into lenses!) but completely liquidated m4/3 after moving to Nikon FX early last year.

great captures ... i still regret selling my e-m5 when i picked up my e-m1. I would have loved to have a second Oly body, and the e-m5 is such a great camera.
You put it to good use :)

great captures ... i still regret selling my e-m5 when i picked up my e-m1. I would have loved to have a second Oly body, and the e-m5 is such a great camera.
You put it to good use :)
I'm glad to think it is still a good camera. I have had a lot of fun with mine. I just picked up a little D5600 to use as another small camera and I'm having a lot of fun with it as well.

Terry, I am kind of late to your post but I just wanted to tell you that if you are using the default aspect ratio of your EM-5 of 4:3 you are using the whole sensor and your camera is behaving like a full frame camera.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom