1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Debbi, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Debbi

Debbi Guest

We had a wonderful family vacation and had the opportunity to go to Glacier National Park for a day. Definitely not enough time and we will go back.

original.

View attachment 227598

Lovin' the turquoise water!
    View attachment 227599

St. Mary's Lake. Yes, the water is really that color
    View attachment 227600

Another Idaho sunset
    View attachment 227601

Because I never asked my family to get up at 4 a.m. for sunrise shots or make them wait around in one spot for the "right" light at sunset, I tried to compensate with an ND4 and CP but still had some blown highlights. I still like this one.
    View attachment 227602

Thanks for looking!

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    good locations for some nice shots, some are obviously during the hard midday light, but you still got some nice shots anyway, Good eye on the composition of the images.

best suggestion I could give is to get better light next time you go and go back to the same spots.

Wade

3. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    excellent shots Debbi
    wanna get out that way one day...

4. Wow! wonderful pics Debbi.

5. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Lovely

One of my favourite places on the planet!
    Great photos!

6. great pics, Debbi!

I'll be on business in Missoula mid-August but plan to take a day or 2 in GNP. Did you and your family drive around on your own or take a day tour? how many (if any) of these pics were taken from the Going-to-the-Sun Road? I see that most of your pics are 18mm, did you use any wider?

Lots of questions I know but I've never been and don't want to pass up an opportunity to enjoy a day in GNP.

Thanks.

7. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Thanks everyone. We will definitely be going back for a much longer stay next time. Then, I will have more control over the time of day I taken shots.

Danielle, all but the sunset shot was taken on the Going to the Sun Road. I normally take my 10-20 with me everywhere but somehow managed to leave it at home so.

8. Thanks for the info!

9. I'm jealous!!!!!! It's been a while since I was there. You've captured the incredible range of colors that the water there exhibits!

Yeah--I know to well about getting them up early or staying out late !!!

BRAVO!

10. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Love those shots, it brings back the memories .... of being stuck in the road works for 15 minutes .... and then being stuck behind all the slow drivers :biggrin:

Is the last shot taken around Logan Pass ?
    If it was, it was totally snow bound when I visited :frown:

11. So so so impressive!!!! I thought we had big hills! I am awe struck, really great set.

Gary.

12. Debbi
    just beautiful
    thanks for sharing your trip with us

13. Hey Debbi..
    These are really great series of shots... Thanks for sharing them.....
    Were you camping out in the open..? As it looks like you were a million miles from nowhere...

14. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Thank you, Nick! It was fun and so very pretty.

The last shot was taken a few miles east of Logan Pass. There was still quite a bit of snow at the pass but it was melting pretty quickly. Yes, we got caught in the construction slow-downs as well at the pass. Thank you for the kind words.

Thank you, Gary. I was pretty impressed as well. Texas is not known for its mountains!

As always, thank you for your kind words Greg!

Thank you, Wally! We actually did not stay in Glacier. We only had one day to spend there and spent 12 hours driving thru the park and around it. It is a truly beautiful place though and you feel like you are a million miles from anywhere.

15. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I beleive we were standing in the exact same place Debbi! :biggrin::biggrin:

View attachment 227604

I was there last summer. Incredible place.

16. Debbi

Debbi Guest

Could be. Very nice B&W conversion! I still have so many to process for monochrome, panos as well as all of the old barns in three states. Thanks for sharing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.