Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Vinod Menon, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Spent the better part of the weekend trying to process the pictures from my recent trip to Glacier National Park. I still have a few that I am sorting through. Here are a few, there are more at http://www.vinodmenon.com/gallery/GlacierNationalPark

Hope you like them.

Pano of Wild Goose Island, the most photographed spot at the park. The first day when I reached there at 5:30am, there were about 20 people with their tripods and cameras already set up, ready to go. It turned out that I had left my battery to charge the previous night and forgot to put it back in the camera. :oops: The next morning was much better, just 3 people. It turned out that the large group was from the Colorado School of Photography. Please click on the panos for larger size.
    [​IMG]

[bStream by the Sunrift Gorge[/b]

[​IMG]

View from Sun Point

[​IMG]

Many Glacier Area Panorama

[​IMG]

2. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Wow... Incredible shots.

I really like the pano. Awesome light.

Good work.

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Impressive as always..

4. Shecks

Shecks

Jul 23, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    Vinod,
    Super great photos, really like your work at Glacier Park. I checked out your web site and you have many very colorful saturated images. Awesome......

Tom

5. Great shots Vinod. You continue to post excellent images.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very beautiful

Wish I could go to some these beautiful places.

But for now I will enjoy from here
    Thanks

7. Vinod, very nice shots, I really like #2. The composition, light and color are outstanding.

8. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Vinod,

These are beautiful. I especially like the colors in number 2.

They are very inspiring. I am going to have to learn how to take and make panos.

When I am confronted with the kind of views in your panos I have usually just given up and tried to find an interesting feature to photograph. Sometimes I have carried a camcorder to capture those super wide views.

John

9. Ouch.....!!!!....just...exquisite ...!! Usually good but these are great !! I need to start watching this area more often..... :oops: ...sorry I have been confining my watching to birds & macro.....

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wow, spectacular shots of a beautiful place. I especially like the first and third shots.

11. These are really beautiful, as are the ones from Yellowstone you posted earlier. I'm especially interested as the boss and I are going to the Canadian Rockies in three weeks. We'll come back through the Waterton/Glacier Peace Park, so I expect to be photographing similar scenery.

Two questions:

1) Did you use your polarizing filter on the full sunlight pictures?

2) Do you have special tripod equipment for your panorama shots?

I appreciate your taking time to answer my questions. I have learned quite a bit from this forum and continue to do so!

12. These are breath taking images. Great job on each and every one. Thanks so much for sharing. We visited the park last September. While we did not have good weather there I was lucky to have one morning of a beautiful sunrise at Many Glacier. A truly beautiful place.

13. Beautiful shots, really like the whoel series, GREAt job!

14. Love th first one and really like the 2nd the milky water running away from the camera is not the normal style shot you always see it coming toward you. I like it.
    -Mike

15. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Those are great Vinod. The only time I ever visited GNP was 53 years ago, but I still remember St. Mary's Lake. If memory serves me well, I took a photo from the same vantage point (along going to the sun highway?) with a borrowed bellows type camera.
    Thanks for the memory.

16. super shots. I love the water on the second one. Great series Vinod

17. Thank you all for all your kind comments. I really appreciate it! Now I am back to seeing all the flat land around me :)

18. Hi Pa,
    I keep learning something new every day from the forum too. :)
    I did use a polarizing filter for most of my landscape shots, I think it really gets out the blue in the sky...As far as tripod equipment, I don't have anything special for the panorama shots, I have a Gitzo 1227 tripod and a Markins M10 ballhead that has a panorama base that allows you to rotate it horizontally. However, many times I just manually rotated and aligned the camera after every shot, I turned on the grid on my D70 and tried to align the horizon on one of the grid lines. Hope that helps. I am sure you are going to enjoy some lovely scenery!

-Vinod

19. Vinod, you never cease to amaze me with your incredible photography! These are absolutely beautiful! Please keep sharing! :)

20. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Each image is a masterpiece, Vinod. That is such a beautiful area of our country. Sorry to hear about leaving your battery in the charger!