Glass plates from 1928

Hi,
I found a box of old family glass plate negatives. The box is labeled Kodak Super Panchro Press P1200 and the size is 6 1/2 in x 4 3/4 in. I used a softbox as a backlight and I photographed them and then just did a invert in PP. These negatives still look pristine after decades. How will our NEF files be read/viewed/printed in year 2100? The 24 Mpix shots I got off the plates with a digital camera are absolutely awesome.

Here are a couple samples.

My great-grandfather in 1928 (smaller plate, 3 in x 4 3/4 in)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My grandfather (second from left) with his sisters and parents in 1944. The lady in the left, my great-aunt, passed away only a few weeks ago at the age of 97.

My grandparents with their children in 1945. My father is the little one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Chris
How very cool Peter! The condition of the plates is fantastic - do keep them stored in the dark, so they have a chance of lasting another 85 years. The emulsion has a period appearance to it - in the third picture, your grandfather seems to be wearing makeup, or perhaps he had a ruddy complexion that looks dark to the less panchromatic silver halide used at that time. All in all, an amazing bit of time travel.

....How will our NEF files be read/viewed/printed in year 2100? .....
Those are amazing pictures! I inherited my grandmother's photo archives, and she had thousands of negatives perfectly preserved in paper sleeves. When I printed some (in the old darkroom) I was amazed at the quality of the (approx) 2.5" x 4.25" negatives made with a simple, uncoated triplet lens in a basic Kodak folder. I've recently started scanning the negatives, and with modern digital methods the prints are even better.

Now that I'm digital, I'm also wondering how my digital files will be viewed by future generations?

These are wonderful. Your technique has worked quite well. It must be great to have these old memories and watch them come back to life.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom