Glass vs Acrylic vs Aluminium for printing pano

After some advice on the pros and cons of the three different materials Glass vs Acrylic vs Aluminium to print a pano measuring 100cm x 50cm (40" x 20") on.

Are these all a step up from canvas?

I don't know anything at all about these meduims and have never seen any in person (except canvas).

I would like to do a print of one of my panos for a friend as a present and would really like it to have a 'wow' factor.

I have quite a number of canvas prints, and one aluminum print. I also have a glass print on order which should be here in the next few days. I like the 40" prints, however my wife tells me we have no more wall space at home for any more. :(

I find the canvas are okay for prints which get viewed from a distance, also the blacks are not really deep and black.

The aluminum print is like chalk and cheese compared to the canvas. The colours are rich, the blacks are deep, and with the gloss finish, the image pops.

Like canvas, the print is exposed. I’m looking forward to seeing the glass print, and from what I can gather the print is protected by glass.

EDIT:

This is one print I had printed on canvas

40073311841_a99bc9d89d_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And this is the one I had printed on aluminium

39452293414_3b39e57a02_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Both prints, plus a few others, are on my office walls at work.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you Richard for that information, very much appreciated and I'd love you to update the thread when you receive your glass print back.

What company(s) have you been using for your prints? They are lovely images. I can imagine that the second one must look glorious with a gloss finish.

Real Name
Paul
This is a relevant discussion for me since I'm considering ditching my Epson A3+ inkjet and just using lab services. I gave up on camera clubs some years back so no longer need to print for competitions any more and I find A3-sized prints not really big enough to show them off to their best. I'm also fed up with paying through the nose for inks!

I've now printed well over 100 large photos on aluminum over the past 4 years. The longest pano was 5 feet long. Largest was 30x40. IMHO this is the way to go for large, vibrant looking prints. Given the right image, these can look spectacular. It's very cost effective and look quite dramatic with a float block and no additional framing required.

I've done all of mine through black river imaging. Great pricing and customer service. Only had one print with an issue and it was replaced immediately. I suspect you have good options down under.

If I was printing the 2 photos posted above, i'd print them on canvas because there are extreme dark areas with pops of color that will stand out with proper saturation (you have to over saturate just a tad for canvas). the 2nd photo posted above could get away with an acrylic print but acrylic prints really benefit from an even amount of highlights and shadows where they contrast and play off each other. Also, lots of varying colors/shades as the lighting in your room will dictate how it shows.

I'm a big fan of acrylic prints, not a big fan of metallic prints.

Real Name
Ken
I have done a number of prints on aluminium, a material which I really like, but I recently splurged on a couple of acrylic prints, and they are also an amazing material. I believe that acrylic prints print at a higher PPI than metal, so they can possibly sow off more detail. And a good acrylic print is quite an amazing thing to look at in good lighting. But, they are much more delicate than metal, so a decision may be influenced by where you plan on hanging the piece. And good acrylic pieces are not cheap. Bay Photo did a piece for me and it was certainly more than a metal print. so, I would say that if you want something really special and have the right place to display it, an acrylic print is a strong candidate. If the location is up in the air, or if there is a budget, then a metal print is a good choice as they wow factor is almost as high IMHO.

Good luck,

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
One more thing. Acrylic can be quite heavy, especially if you order a think slab. So, if mounting is a concern, then know that acrylic is much heavier than metal.

--Ken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One more thing. Acrylic can be quite heavy, especially if you order a think slab. So, if mounting is a concern, then know that acrylic is much heavier than metal.

--Ken
Thanks Ken, much appreciate the advice. I've never printed this big and never had anything printed on anything before but photo paper.

Thanks Ken, much appreciate the advice. I've never printed this big and never had anything printed on anything before but photo paper.
Print smaller versions of something you like and see how it looks before going big. Like I mentioned above, I was not a fan of how some colors and luminance came out on metal and prefer acrylic though it is more expensive so it would be worth it to see them for yourself on a smaller scale before diving in.

Real Name
Ken
Printing an enlargement is always something I enjoy as it brings an image to life for me. And printing large is an even bigger treat. But printing (with the appropriate image) on metal or acrylic is like being a kid in a candy store with little restraint, especially if the piece is somewhat large. I hope that whatever you decide (and there really is no bad decision) is well received.

Good luck,

--Ken

I finally put the glass print on the wall this morning.

First impressions, not too fussed. Work colleagues think it’s great.

I have prints at home in frames with a bezel and mounted behind glass, and I really like them, although heavy and expensive. This one, I feel needs a frame and I’m not sure why. The image itself is fine, the glass does give it a bit of a 3d effect, but the glass is also reflective.

Of the three styles of prints I have hanging in my office, I would put the aluminum as my first preference, the glass as my second, and the canvas as third. I’m glad I got it done as now I know what I will use for any future prints.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom