1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Glassy Water

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by GaronTornell, Oct 1, 2008.

1. This was my first attempt at capturing the glassy look to water.

GlassyRiver2.

2. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Way to try new things! There is a lot of blown highlights here, so you'll need to try filters or not shoot so much into the light. Maybe a CP or ND filter since you're already at f22

3. Thanks...I noticed the highlights problem as well. I tried metering off a darker area...but the result was the same or close. I need to look into getting filters indeed. Is a CP a circular polarizer? What does ND mean? Thanks for the CC

4. Good for your first attempt. ND is Neutral Density, which is really just a grey piece of glass (neutral coloured) placed over your lens which allows your aperture to stay open longer without being flooded with a whole lot of light. You can get them in varying degrees of darkness. If you like shooting water, especially waterfalls, you'll want one.

5. I think a Circular polarizer will be of great help here to take care of the spurious reflections.

6. Thanks Sandi, I will look into that.

7. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Actually, a CP might detract from a shot like this. Assuming the reflections are intended, a CP would visually eliminate them and you would see into the water.

A graduated ND filter is a good trick. They are partly clear and partly neutral gray tinted. You can get both varying stops of density and varying filters with different areas of tint - 1/2, 1/3, etc. The balance is clear. This allows you to meter a more light-neutral scene with fewer highlight issues. There are lots of options, and they add up quickly!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.