1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Glen Onoko Falls in the Lehigh Valley Gorge

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by PAFirefighter11, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Quick back story: Glen Onoko Falls is located in the Lehigh Valley Gorge, which is in Jim Thorpe, PA, approx. 2-hours north of Philly. It is a popular destination for both the waterfalls it holds as well as the hiking, hunting, and fishing available. However, it can be treacherous, especially for those who are not properly equipped. By not properly equipped I mean those who are not wearing hiking boots/shoes. Sneakers and flop flops are not acceptable here. There is scaling of the rocks and mountainside required to make it up the mountain to the different waterfalls. Due to this, many people have died or have been critically injured. The Pennsylvania Game Commission has decided to shut down access to the trail, permanently, in one week: May 1st. More info here: State will close beautiful but dangerous Glen Onoko Falls trail May 1 I have been wanting to visit for years and this closure forced me to go. I took off on Earth Day and made the 1.5-hour trek up there. These photos were shot with my D7200 and 16-80 lens. Handheld.

The first warning & information sign:
    IMG_5101-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The second warning & information sign:
    DSC_3260-XL.jpg

The falls:
    DSC_3266-XL.jpg

DSC_3267-XL.jpg

DSC_3276-XL.jpg

DSC_3284-XL.jpg

DSC_3290-XL.jpg

DSC_3296-XL.jpg

DSC_3300-XL.jpg

Some overlooks along the ridge trail:
    DSC_3308-XL.jpg

[​IMG]

The technical info on the hike:
    IMG_5121-XL.png

If you live close enough to visit and have never been or want to visit one last time, get out there ASAP!

2. Thanks for sharing, beautiful image.
    I grew up in PA and have hiked in the area, but never up to the falls.
    It is a shame government has to protect us from ourselves. But they will and do.
    Not properly prepared, do not have proper gear- don't go. It is pretty simple. People do have to learn that wilderness is wild.
    Pretty soon the Grand Canyon will be closed as it is dangerous too.
    Gary

3. Damn, that is sad! What ever happened to common sense?!

My mom grew up on other side of Broad Mt in Weatherly. I’ve been on the trail many years ago in my teens and 20s. We used to ride the fire trails too. It’s beautiful country. You did well making it up and capturing the scenery.

4. super shots, some awesome country.........in fact this whole Earth is awesome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.