Critique Gloomy

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Binnur, Jan 11, 2018.

1. IMG_9072-9074 merge.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. It's more than gloomy for me; it's downright foreboding. All of which proves for me that it's an excellent image. It's the kind of image that there is such a variety of details throughout it that I could spend a long time looking at it to appreciate that variety.

3. Thank you Mike. I'm glad that the image conveys the feelings I wanted to express. If I had known the adjective 'foreboding' I would have used it as a title. I learnt one more word in English with the help of you, thanks also for that (y)

4. That's always a problem with ultra-wide lenses. There are a few commercial and do it yourself solutions, though (I googled it :)).

5. What Mike said. Like the longer shutter speed and the look this gives to the movement of the water. The exposure and the clouds also add to the feel of the image. Well done.

6. Where did my first comment and the reply go?

7. There are two threads with the same title and you're participating in both of them, probably getting confused about which thread you're visiting at the time.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. How odd. that's it. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  9. Evocative! Nicely done.

10. Thanks for your further comment Larry. I inquired about filter holder options for UWA lenses through internet too, when I bought my UWA. Unfortunatelly there wasn't a good practical solution. You get either heavy vignettes with those filter holders or they are too big to be practical considering that I usually shoot at the shore , very close to water level (well sometimes my camera is almost in the water).. That's why I prefer to shoot with narrow apertures if my focal length is between 8mm-10 mm to get a longer shutter speed. However , if shoot with my Tokina 11-16 mm I'm able to use my standart Lee filter holder and filters, so I can shoot with wider apertures .

11. Thanks for looking and commenting Gordon. I'm glad that you like the image.

12. Thank you Bob.

13. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    Really magical image, Binnur!
    Wonderful composition.
    I really like the inverse mirror-like symmetry in the sky as well.
    (dark cloud - bright cloud)

14. My goodness, this is such an excellent image! The mood, perspective, detail....foreboding! This is definitely a wall hanger.

15. I'm sitting here at home, on a very gloomy grey day. Heavy rain alternating with heavy wet snow! This picture to me says "hope is on the horizon".
    I love the details fore and back ground and the shades of B&W.

16. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I'm about 130 miles north of Nick, it's also gloomy and grey here, been snowing all day. Love this photo, the water/light on the rocks in the foreground is wonderful, and the sky, rocks and water in the distance is great. Fantastic image.

17. Thank you very much Bart, I appreciate your comment.

Thank you Dayo.

Thank you Nick, I'm glad that the image says something to you. I hope you will have some sunshine soon, keep dry and warm.

Thanks for your nice words Rick. Becasue Nick and you are from close locations, I wish you a lot of sunshine soon too. Keep dry and warm.

18. Hi Binnur. I finally made it here thanks to your encouragement. I like this image a lot. It's compositionally spot on (of course) but it also prompts the emotions. Conveys that feeling that you get in situations like this when you begin to look forward to getting back to somewhere bright, warm and welcoming.

19. Hi John. I'm so glad to see you posting here :) I'm also glad that you like the image. I can't wait to see your images.

20. vindex1963

vindex1963

Feb 27, 2009
    phoenix
    Beautiful.