Gloves for shooting???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ppub101, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Hey guys, I was wondering if you have any type of gloves that you would recommend for shooting in winter? Sometimes when I go out to shoot, its sooo cold my hands cant stop shaking. I need something warm but very thin finger tips so i can still use all the buttons on my camera. Thanks

Paul

2. I use a pair of merino wool gloves from Filson. They also have some without the finger tips but I find their regular glove to work fine. This link should get you there: http://www.filson.com

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005
  3. Hi Paul,

We went to Antarctica in 2003 and I needed gloves too. I went to a hunting/fishing type store called Gander Mountain and found two types of gloves that seemed to work pretty well. I found a very warm glove used by deer hunters that was a half glove that had bare fingers sticking out, then there was a flap that covered the fingers to make it into a mitten when you were not shooting. It was quite warm with all the fingers under the mitten cover and you could "sacrifice" only the shooting finger outside the mitten cover.

My wife, Nan, found a similar glove but it had a zippered pocket on the back of the mitten flap that would hold a "hot hands" packet. She usually complains of cold fingers long before I do, but not with this setup!
    I put a "hot hands" packet in my pocket and tried to keep the exposed finger warm. It really helped. Also you can put the "hot hands" in a zip lock bag and press all the air out to "turn them off". They will last about 8-10 hours.

The other type of glove I found at the same store was some kind of shooting glove. It was made like a golf glove (except for both hands) out of very thin and soft leather with a velcro fastner on the back of the hand. You could really feel right through the thin leather to operate the controls or even change a CF card. With patience you could even open the battery door. It did not provide much warmth, but did keep the wind off. I sometimes wore these gloves under the first ones.

You can also find similar gloves at REI here:
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...2&parent_category_rn=40001352&vcat=REI_SEARCH
    The only thing I did not like about mine was that they were wool and got wet in snow or rain, while the ones Nan had were some synthetic material that seemed water repellant.

Hope this helps,
    Bob

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Paul,

The Filson gloves that Gordon mentions look pretty good. I have a pair of Lowepro photographer's gloves that I got from B&H for $19.50 for shooting in moderately cold temps. If it is just on the cool side, I have a pair of fingertip-less bicycle gloves that I really like. A little colder and I wear the bicycle gloves over the Lowepro's.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Paul :

Wal-Mart has hunter's mitt/gloves with fingerless gloves that have foldback mitts over the fingers and a foldback thumb. Both foldbacks are equipped with velcro to hold them back when shooting. The mitt section very neatly fits a handwarmer (one of those things that you open and it heats up for a couple of hours).

And...

... you can wear glove liners that are thin enough to shoot with if the mitts aren't warm enough.

Probably one of the best arrangements I've been able to work with for my photography in cold weather.

Look for them in the sporting goods section, typically in the hunting items area.

John P.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

7. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
  8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I use a pair of FootJoy WinterSof golf gloves. If it's too cold for those then I use a big pair of gloves from The North Face, and just suck-it-up and take them off for a few seconds when I really need my fingers.

9. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Thanks guys

Excellent info everyone.... Thank you very much for the quick and great responses. :biggrin:

10. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    I would recommend the type of glove/mittens Bob described above. I use the type that fly fishers use for fishing in cold weather. Hands remain warm even when the gloves are soaking wet. Most fly fishing stores have similar items or check out Cablela's, Orvis, Feathercraft (St. Louis) or similar places. Can be had in fingerless gloves, fingered gloves, or fingerless glove/mitten combo. Have used the latter in Alaska for fishing and photographing and they do the job quite well, at least down to 15-20 deg F or so. For really cold weather (i.e. south pole regions) I wouldn't have a clue!

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Lowepro Gloves For Me

However...when the wind is really howling in the winter, they aren't warm enough and my fingers freeze solid. Man it hurts when those suckers are thawing out!

At times, I put little thin chemical handwarners in the palms and that helps as well.