GND filter info please

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by bfullmer, Jul 8, 2007.

1. I'm looking for information on GND filters. Specifically the Cokin/Lee/Singh-Ray variety to use primarily on a super-wide zoom.

As I understand, the Cokin system works well, although their filters leave something to be desired as they are plastic. Correct?

I'm probably looking for a 2-stop soft to begin with, but am open to suggestions. I'll be using it mostly for landscapes.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

2. Anyone? Bueller....

3. Brian,
    I found the 3 stop soft to be the most useful if I could only have one. I sue the Cokin P holder (for wide angle lenses) and have 6 Singh-ray filters that I use for various landscape/scenic work.

4. Thanks for the info guys. The widest lens likely to be used would be a Sigma 10-20. I'm thinking about the rectangular filters. I'm not sure what size holder would be correct. Will they fit in a "P" series holder?

Thanks,

5. Brian look HERE for the wide angle holder and the adaptor for your objective's threads.

6. Hey Brian -

I use a Cokin P mount with a Galen Rowell Singh-Ray GND filter on my Sigma 10-20 often.

I think that the P series is rated for lens diameters up to 82 mm, so the coverage is fine.

The Galen Rowell filter is expensive - and is also made of (high-quality) plastic, but I've used it often and I've never regretted asking for it as a Christmas present (was going to say "buying it", but that wouldn't be quite true - LOL).

Eric

7. Thanks guys. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

8. Thanks Dave. More good information.

9. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Brian,
    Just started using the Singh-Ray with Cokin P holder. Works great on my 10-20 sigma. Got the 3 stop soft direct from Singh, wide angle Cokin from B&H-dont forget to order the lens adapter (77mm) to go with it. If I had it to do over I may have gotten the hard edge. But the soft give you wide lattitude on effect and not a sign of an edge.
    Samples, the first is 10-20 the others are 28-70

10. Nice shots John. Thanks for the advice.

11. Nice John. Can you please post links to B&H for exactly what holder/adapter you bought?

12. I find for landscape work, I hand hold about 50% of the time since sunrise and sunset change so quickly. The larger Lee size filters work better as the fingers stay out of the shot. A good part of landscape work requires a CP and the Lee holder allows you to screw the CP into the holder ring.

This is an example, the clouds were moving through so quickly I barely had time to grab the filter and get it in front of the lens for this one. Hand held 3 stop soft GND no fingers :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  13. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    As memtioned elsewhere the wide-angle version only holds one filter, the regular allows you to stack up to three, if you look on the second page of access it shows the 77mm adapter ring. The holder comes with no ring at all unless you buy a kit with cokin filters. I prefer the Singh-ray, you can get it from B&H or direct from Singh-they are jsut down the road so I got it direct-shipped same day. NOTE; minor corrction, it works well with the 10-20 Sigma to 12mm, at 10mm it does clip the corner just a bit, but then I usually crop some anyway. Also it is not too difficult to hand hold without the holder if desired.
    b&h

Cokin rates it to 20mm, here

14. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    so if I may
    for my 12-24 Tokina
    I would order the wide angle holder for use with ND grad
    since my BW CP gives odd results because of the angle sometimes. am I better off getting a P series type to avoid this,or is it the same deal ????

15. The only time I use a CP is to cut reflection from water or leaves and to make inside the forest shots pop a little. A GND will help with your blue skies and keeping detail in the clouds.

16. I had the Cokin P holders, both regular and the wide angle version.

Using the regular (3 slot?), I experienced vignetting at 17 mm. No problem with the WA version. On my 12 -24 Tokina, I could go no wider than 15 mm, with the WA holder.

As Douglas mentions, it's sometimes necessary to hold by hand, although I am frightened of scratching the filters.

I consequently sold off my Cokin P holders and Singh-ray GND filters, and purchased the larger Singh-ray GND filters, a Lee filter holder, a regular Lee adapter ring and also Lee's WA adapter ring.

I have all Singh-ray filters, 3-stop hard, 2-stop soft and a 3-stop hard reverse. I also have the vari-ND which rocks!

Paul.

17. Thanks for the information Paul. The Singh-ray filters seem to be the best of the bunch.

18. Thanks for the info Paul. That is helpul. I'm trying to decide between the Cokin and Lee. It's primarily a cost/benefit issue since I would use them only occasionally. A few questions for you or anyone else using these:

Do you find less vignetting with the Lee? How about ease of use? Is one more convenient to carry than the other?

Do you use a CP with the NDs? If so, how does that work - do you rotate until you have the effect you want and then insert the ND? Is that possible with both Lee and Cokin? Is it harder with one than the other?

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread Brian, not my intent at all. I assume this info will be of interest to you too.

19. No problem. As you said, it's of interest to me too.